your liver breaking down fats in your body?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mad woman Posts: 22106
does you liver breakdown all the fats in your body?? not sure about this was just wondering if anyone knows anything about it?
BlushingB Posts: 1634
I think so. I think that cholesterol is what happens when you take in too many fats, your liver can't handle them and so they manage to slip through and get into your blood stream.
hmm, thanks a mill for that blushing.
Bugs Posts: 511
hey madwoman, Fats are emulsified by bile salts (which come from the liver into the duodenum). Emulsified fats are actually broken down in the duodenum into fatty acids and glycerol. Fatty acids and glycerol can then be absorbed in the small intestine. The liver converts saturated fat into a form which can be used by tissues to provide energy (e.g. cholesterol). It is also responsible for converting glucose to help regulate blood sugars (which may answer your previous post on energy levels). Milk thistle is a great herb to help the liver detoxify and perform its functions more efficiently - available in most pharmacies and health stores. Just add 15-20 drops to water 2-3 times per day. It's great for helping with hangovers too!!!
thank you very much bugs.
Bugs Posts: 511
you're more than welcome mad woman! Obviously after the night ye all had on Friday, I presume your liver's more than working overtime ;) ;)
oh god yeah, although I must say those baby guiness's went down a treat.. :lol: