your views on tens machines

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cyberspi Posts: 103
Hi there, has anyone ever rented a tens machine from Boots? was it worth while? I'm trying to decide if I'm better off renting one or buying on from here , seeing as this is my 1st it might be better to own one if they are worth while.. all opinions greatly appreciated..
mammybean Posts: 10364
i would also be interested in this. i was tlking to h2b about it and he reckons you could do more damge internally to yourself than on the epidural cos you would be feeling nothing. TBH if i got some positive feedback on it i would rather use it than the epidural
Tedsters Posts: 1688
Sorry cannot help yet but have heard positive feedback from others - if you search TENS in this forum you will see their feedback. I have booked mine through - costs €69 to rent. The main thing is to get a pregnancy related TENS (not the sports type) and to use it as soon as you get the first twinges of labour so as to get the full benefit. Will let ya know how I get on in a few weeks :eek
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I have heard its good for early labour, but after that when pain gets stronger people seem to say its more of a hindrance than a help, and it can be fiddly. But i think it can do no harm to try and anything is better than an epidural. Im going to try hypnobirthing, birthing ball, and counterpressure.
mammybean Posts: 10364
i will definately be looking into it. so you can rent them from boots? i know they have one in the hospital but i would prefer to bring one with me cos what if someoe has that one already
jellybaby Posts: 2316
I was on the Domino Scheme so my midwife gave me one of these to take home for when labour started. I put it on as soon as the first pains started, but tbh, I found it crap. It did nothing for me, and I found the wires to be really annoying and I just took it off after less than 2 hours. I know lots of people find them good - people seem to either love or hate them, and you'll probably never know until you try.... Sorry, not much help :-8
Sphynx Posts: 6795
I've been given one so will definitely give it a go. I don't think they're meant to replace an epidural - I think they just help you get through the early stages from what I've heard. I think anything that does is worth a try. I've heard that you have to start using them as soon as your contractions begin in order for them to work - can imagine that would be a bit of a pain with the wires etc. if you are still at home and wanting to walk around, use your birthing ball etc.
fire fly Posts: 1241
Hi! I used the baby care tens and I thought it was fab, it really helped until the very end I used the birthing ball aswell and at the very end gas and air. I found it so much better than an epidural, I had one with my first child and you just have no control over anything and you can't move. If I were to have another child I would use the tens again and it gave my dh something to do rather than standing there looking scared!! It helps with after birth too which can sometimes be quite painful.
cyberspi Posts: 103
Thanks so far everyone, boots rent them for 4 weeks for around €45 and a €40 deposit I think.. so I was thinking if I even had 2 pregnancys I'd have paid for buying one. Ftbride, which model did you use?
fire fly Posts: 1241
I used the Femme tens, the pads are really big which makes a big difference some of them I looked at were half the size but I couldn't get the pads here I had to order on line. I got some that would fit it in Sam Mc Cauleys but they were so small in comparison. Good luck!!