[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /u0/webroot/virtual/clients/client9/web72/web/lib/classes/supplier.php on line 944: Division by zero
Zika Virus in Tropics & post honeymoon pregnancy
Menu

Go to The Honeymoon

Kerry80
New Wolly

Postby Kerry80 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:28 pm

We are booked onto a RC Cruise of the Caribbean stopping in Cozumel, Haiti and Jamica and a week in Mexico.

Having been reading about Zika virus in the tropic areas from mosquito bites and the possible link to birth defects and poor pregnancy outcomes - women are being advised to delay pregnancy for two years . Given i'l be 35 its not an option .

I really do not want to start freaking out but its kind of hard not to.

I want to cancel honeymoon and DH2be thinks its not that serious and it more for Brazil and Venezuela etc.

Anyone else nervous ?

BonnieC
New Wolly

Re: Zika Virus in Tropics & post honeymoon pregnancy

Postby BonnieC » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Kerry80, the CDC have issue a travel alert for the following countries for Zika virus Brazil, Colombia, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Suriname, and Venezuela. The following link goes through the details http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

You should contact your GP for advise and pay close attention to the steps to prevent mosquito bites (there is a link within the link I have posted above).

Unfortunately there is no test to confirm Zika virus as far as I know, so on your return from your honeymoon you wouldn't be able to tell if you contracted it or not. If you do get bitten on your holiday you could pay close attention to any symptoms, these symptoms are listed in the link as well and may indicate if you have contracted the disease.
What time of year are you going on your honeymoon, certain times are worse than others for mosquitos.
Hope this helps xo

Kerry80
New Wolly

Postby Kerry80 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:35 pm

July!

I've been following a thread on Tripadvisor and some Pregnant women have cancelled.
While others say the shore breeze in Mexico cancun area means little mosquitos.

We haven't actually taken out travel insurance as yet and only have deposit paid on honeymoon.

I don't know can we insure against a change of mind ? Or if the "Level 2" is upgraded now that its become a "western" concern since a baby in Hawaii was born with the defects and 3 British have Zika but were in Combodia.

I suppose next step is read through booking conditions .

IS there any travel insurance better than others ?

E.Rose
Mini Wolly

Postby E.Rose » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:24 am

Perhaps find out under what circumstances can you get your deposit back if you cancel. Where/who have the health warnings/alerts come from? Perhaps there's grounds for return of deposit.

Do your research. What are the chances/ dangers involved in the locations you're visiting. As suggested above, get advice from your GP. Cover all bases.
Will you be so worried that you won't be able relax and enjoy your honeymoon? Is the sum of the deposit an amount you can get over losing if you decide to cancel? These are questions only yourself can answer.
Best of luck, it's a tricky one all right, hard to know :-/

E.Rose
Mini Wolly

Postby E.Rose » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:27 am

Re the insurance question, can you insure against this now, after the fact? As in after paying deposit already? Would need to check that out before you hand over more cash, just in case

Kerry80
New Wolly

Postby Kerry80 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:14 am

E.Rose wrote:Re the insurance question, can you insure against this now, after the fact? As in after paying deposit already? Would need to check that out before you hand over more cash, just in case

Deposit was €500 so luckily thats not an issue, and we have until 71 days before travel to pay balance , but my tired eyes and the tiny print thinks that the Cruise is payable regardless.
Must look into travel insurance- we normally just top up health insurance so will see what the conditions are.
I have rang our GP this morning and i know it's Monday but the secretary said i will have a call back later today.

John Walsh Guitar
BonnieC
New Wolly

Postby BonnieC » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi Kerry80, I would be interested in hearing what the GP recommends if you wouldn't mind posting an update. I would phone the cruise providers to see if you are really expected to pay the full amount, as I sure they are getting a lot of queries the past few days and could answer these questions for you. I'm not sure if travel insurance would cover you now, as you would be taking it out retrospectively. Or maybe I missed something. Alternatively if the cruise providers do cruises to other locations ie the Med Italy, Greece that might be an option for you as you could request to change locations for the cruise? I know this might not be an option if you have your hearts set on Mexico etc.

Kerry80
New Wolly

Postby Kerry80 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Update:

Well watching BBC news last night you'd be terrified. :eek :eek

The facts are they're MAY be a possible link between them, and it really only affects the populations of the affected countries and native pregnant woman in Latin and Central America, visiting pregnant women and those planning a pregnancy in those countries (as in living there). Poor sanitation and stagnant water areas are the breeding grounds and not 5* hotels !

My GP said: Per the CDC

20% of people bitten by a mosquito get Zika.

It's a fever , Rash and sore eyes at worst and some people have no symptoms only a bite.

Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person ( Those 20%) for only a few days to a week

...The virus will not cause infections in a baby that is conceived after the virus is cleared from the blood. So, for those infected, once the virus has run its course, it will not pose a risk of birth defects for future pregnancies.

There is no risk to pregnancy post Vacation as according to the CDC, is that the virus doesn't linger in your body after it's run its course. END

Now, i read an article by Scott Weaver , University of Texas in the Infections and something department that it could linger up to 21 days. (Ie 3-12 days to develop symptoms and a few days to a week to clear) http://www.vox.com/2016/1/21/10805922/z ... -pregnancy
I'd like to know more about how long it can stay in semen too.

GP advice is to stay on my contraceptive for now, to protect against a "Honeymoon" baby as with high alcoholic consumption and long haul flights she doesn't recommend conception during that time, where ever we are, never mind if there's a chance of a mosquito bite.

It's wrong of the media to hype it up as a danger to anyone travelling and not clarify what it meant to those not pregnant, or not planning on getting pregnant and going on honeymoon or vacations.
Its enough with all this ISIS, Syria, Ibola, Terrorist, Planes disappearing etc nonsence that has us all terrified.

I'm alot more relaxed, i'd swine flu back in 2009 and what about that now!

For now we will monitor the situation, be cautious and consider our options before april and if the CDC or Scott Weavers 8 year study shows something different we'll decide then.

Oh and take out good travel insurance - we need it anyway :duh:

BonnieC
New Wolly

Postby BonnieC » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks so much for this update Kerry80, its quite reassuring and informative. Enjoy your honeymoon.

tessydoo
New Wolly

Postby tessydoo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Kerry80 Thanks so much for the update, feel like I've been living in another planet lately and knew nothing about the Zika virus until your post yesterday. We are also going on honeymoon to Mexico in April. Great that your GP was able to clear things up :)

Next

Go to The Honeymoon