Go to Mums & Kids

MrsDarcy
Princess Wolly

Pemberley (In my
dreams!!)

Midwives Clinic - Limerick (or other)

Postby MrsDarcy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi Girls

On my first app in Limerick Maternity (at 12 weeks) they told me that from now on I can go to the midwives clinic - as I have no medical issues and my first pregnancy was low-risk.

What does this mean though? The nurse I spoke to just mentioned that there will be less of a wait for me when I do have appointments.

Have any of you had any experience of the midwives clinic - Limerick or otherwise? What can I expect before, during and after childbirth? Is it actually a service or is it just a way of freeing up space and time in the normal clinic?

Thanks in advance :thnk

(also posted in P&B)

Secondtime
Mini Wolly

Re: Midwives Clinic - Limerick (or other)

Postby Secondtime » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi Mrs Darcy,

I attended the midwives clinic in Limerick by choice on my first pregnancy. The difference is that at your appointments you see a midwife rather than a doctor (any one of a team of doctors, often a student). I went for it because, when you are labor, it is midwives who look after you. They are amazing. If there is any issue on one of your check-ups or if you ask for it, you will be sent over to see a doctor. Everything else (bloods, scans etc) happens as normal. You are in and out much quicker. I believe (and have family working in the HSE) that the midwives are often far more experienced that the doctors you meet in the clinics (unless of course there is an issue and your problem needs to be escalated). I couldn't find fault with the public system in Limerick Maternity.

Best of luck with everything,

S

MrsDarcy
Princess Wolly

Pemberley (In my
dreams!!)

Postby MrsDarcy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback Secondtime

The shorter waiting times are what sold it for me in the first instance! I was just a bit dubious as I didn't know what the procedure was.

DollyMomma
Royal Wolly

Postby DollyMomma » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 pm

I know that in Holles Street midwives clinic if, during your labour you want want to have an epidural you are transferred to the main delivery area and can no longer stay in the midvives clinic delivery suite (which is nicer with an en suite bathroom and a big couch).

Secondtime
Mini Wolly

Postby Secondtime » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:28 pm

In Limerick, the midwives clinic only applies to outpatient clinic. Once you get admitted, it's all the same, wouldn't have any impact on epidural

mammymcphee
Supreme Wolly

Postby mammymcphee » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:32 pm

congrats on your PG MrsDarcy!

I was in Prof Cotters midwife clinic this time and the apts were in the afternoon so were way quicker!

The care was the same as a normal clinic and also the same in the labour ward!

best of luck x

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
elpi
Major Wolly

Postby elpi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:33 pm

I was also in the midwives clinic in Limerick and found it great. Waiting time was always quite short. Even though you are not seen by a doctor they will act quickly if they have concerns. At my 38 week appointment the midwife had some concerns, got the consultant straight away and I was induced the following day.

Go to Mums & Kids

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T