Sugar in urine - what does it mean?

Go to Pregnancy & Babies

silíní
Supreme Wolly

Sugar in urine - what does it mean?

Postby silíní » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:01 pm

Babyscan
Hi guys
At my ante natal apt today doc said there was a very small amount of sugar in my urine. At next visit he said i have to bring a sample of urine which is the 2nd sample of the morning (ie not the one first thing, then don't eat or drink anything, and next sample is the one i have to bring)... Anyone know what this means? I presume if he thought i had Gestational Diabetes or something he'd send me for a glucose test. Have no other signs, baby's size is normal and BP is normal... Could it be that I am eating too many sugary things??

charli
Ultimate Wolly

Postby charli » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:54 pm

im no much help but i dont think it is anything to do with what you eat, could be wrong
once i had ++glucose written in the space for urine on my combined card by the midwife and it wasnt even mentioned - i only noticed on my way out, next GP appointment and it was clear

it is one of the indicators of gest diabetes but as you have only had a small amount on one reading they will wait and see - how is your weight gain, i think if you are putting on more than recommended weight gain and have the glucose in urine, they will test then
either way dont worry
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

[/url]

theoracle
Most Helpful, Most Knowledgeable User 2011

Postby theoracle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Some sugar can be found in the urine and is sometimes just a result of the increased demand on your metabolism due to pregnancy and not necessary a sign of GD, but of course, your doc would err on the side of caution and just check that there is no indication of GD. A GTT would be the next move, normally it is done in the last trimester.

I had to do it in my last pregnancy because my sister had GD and I had traces of sugar in urine, but the test was fine and I did not have GD. HTH.

silíní
Supreme Wolly

Postby silíní » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 pm

how is your weight gain, i think if you are putting on more than recommended weight gain and have the glucose in urine, they will test then
either way dont worry

Thanks girls..... I don't know if i've put on much weight, my pre pregnancy weight would be around 8 and a half stone. I'm about 10 and 3/4 stone now so i've put on about 2 and a quarter stone... Is that a lot? The doc says the size of the baby is fine for dates, ie not too big.

charli
Ultimate Wolly

Postby charli » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:31 pm

dont think the weight gain is too much as you were slim to start, again a little sugsr is nothing to worry about, any more checkups?
[/url]

[/url]

Dairy Queen
Empress Wolly

Postby Dairy Queen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:56 pm

my pre pregnancy weight would be around 8 and a half stone. I'm about 10 and 3/4 stone now so i've put on about 2 and a quarter stone....[/quote]

I have gone from 8 1/2 to 11 doc says it's perfectly fine. If you are a healthy weight 2 1/2 stone is what is recommended. You reserve 5 1/2 lbs after for b feeding but I think I will have a little extra hanging around.

any news on the sugar levels?

Portmarnock Hotel & Gol
shobie
Royal Wolly

Postby shobie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi Silini,

I had the same thing, so brought another sample afgter fasting and it was fine. Dr said he would keep an eye on it in case it was a sign of GD but was all clear the last time. He said it could be from sugary things I am eating, told me to cut out the sugar. Very difficult as I can't seem to get through the day without chocolate :o0

Don't think it's too much to worry about unless it presents itself at the 'fasting' sample ifkwim.
[/url]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/we2FXLz/]
[/url]

silíní
Supreme Wolly

Postby silíní » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:54 pm

dont think the weight gain is too much as you were slim to start, again a little sugsr is nothing to worry about, any more checkups

Thanks for the concern girls. :thnk :thnk Dont have another check up for about a week and a bit. The cons obviously isn't that worried as he just said to bring a 'fasting' sample, ie not the first urine of the day, but the second, without eating in between.

I really am eating lots of sugary things... I know it's bold but i just crave them! It's so out of character for me. Not really choc and sweets, but more like cakes,pies and desserts! Apple tarts etc... So maybe that is affecting it.... It might be cause i feel so tired i'm trying to boost my energy levels....

I'll let ye know how i get on at next check up!

jess08
Mini Wolly

Postby jess08 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:18 pm

They check your sugar levels every time, but usually only worry if you have two or three positive results, then they will send you for the glucose test. Its quite normal to have the occassional positive, as the girls said it will depend on what you had eaten in the couple of hours before the test.

Even if you do have to have the glucose test, its not that bad, just lots of lucosade and a few blood tests, its just the hanging around thats a pain!

silíní
Supreme Wolly

Postby silíní » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:06 pm

They check your sugar levels every time, but usually only worry if you have two or three positive results, then they will send you for the glucose test. Its quite normal to have the occassional positive, as the girls said it will depend on what you had eaten in the couple of hours before the test.

Thanks jess! That's reassuring! S

Go to Pregnancy & Babies

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T