what is IUGR

Go to Mums & Kids

expecting no3
Major Wolly

what is IUGR

Postby expecting no3 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi girls, just looking for some info. My sil's baby was diagnosed with this. She is currently being induced to deliver the baby early. I was just wondering has anyone experience of this. How does it affect baby. Im just not sure what to say to her.

Thanks in advance

Mumaholic
Princess Wolly

X

Re: what is IUGR

Postby Mumaholic » Wed May 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I don't know anything about it but from reading on here and in books it stands for Intra Uterine Growth Restriction, as in the baby isn't growing at the rate it should be. I think sometimes the placenta might've stopped functioning properly and things like that but I say I'm no expert. Please god all will be ok :-)

Mammie2
New Wolly

Postby Mammie2 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 am

Hi

My first born had this problem. It means the baby has stopped or slowed down their rate of growth. I think some doctors call it "small for dates". As a result I had to be induced also at 38.5 weeks and had a little boy 5lbs 9 oz. I didnt really get a reason why but sometimes it can be down to problems with the placenta but I dont think they saw signs of that. I know my blood pressure was a bit high during the pregnancy although not medicated.

The good news is he is now 4 and has been fine ever since. He was just above the birthweight that meant he did not have to go into an incubator.

It is probably best to be induced to be on the safe side. I hope all works out well for your SIL like it did for me.

All the Bestest,
Mammie 2

PS I made the mistake of googling the condition on the blackberry while waiting for the induction to take and frightened the life out of myself - best not to do that as it caused unnecessary worry.

expecting no3
Major Wolly

Postby expecting no3 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 am

Hey girls, thanks for replies. Sil had baby in early hrs this morn. Induction didn't work so she had a c section. baby weighed 4lbs. Its such a relief they are both ok. They had known about the slow growth for the past 4 wks but were reluctant to take the baby out until she got pre eclampsia. They are going to carry out growth tests on baby. Its reassuring to hear your experience. Thanks girls

Mammie2
New Wolly

Postby Mammie2 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:06 am

Congratulations ! - glad babs arrived safe and sound.

These little ones tend to catch on quick !

Enjoy !

Toots12
Princess Wolly

Postby Toots12 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 pm

My DD had this - it's where the placenta fails to provide adequate nutrition to the foetus and they don't thrive. She was delivered 2 months early by emergency C-section, as I also had pre-eclampsia. Luckily, she had no medical issues, but had to spend the first 6 weeks in ICU as she was so teeny (2lbs). Now a tall strapping 4-year old!

Aileen Duffy Makeup
expecting no3
Major Wolly

Postby expecting no3 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Toots12 wrote:My DD had this - it's where the placenta fails to provide adequate nutrition to the foetus and they don't thrive. She was delivered 2 months early by emergency C-section, as I also had pre-eclampsia. Luckily, she had no medical issues, but had to spend the first 6 weeks in ICU as she was so teeny (2lbs). Now a tall strapping 4-year old!

wow 2lbs. How did you handle a baby that small. My ds was 6lbs 14oz born and I thought he was delicate :) that's good that there will be no further issues. She was so worried I just didn't know enough about it to reassure her.

Thanks for the reply mammie2.

Mamaboom
Woloholic

Postby Mamaboom » Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Delighted to hear baby is here safe and sound. I was induced at 37 weeks as my baby was IUGR too, my placenta wasn't working properly. He was 5lb 9oz when he arrived, he was perfect.
The boss is 2
#2 ETA November 2013

expecting no3
Major Wolly

Postby expecting no3 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Ye they've sent her placenta away for testing although my sil was adamant it had nothing to do with her placenta but from the bit we googled it seemed to place the blame with that. She said it was coz she was rhe neg but my own sis had that and didn't have any trouble other than the anti d injections. but ye its just a relief that both are ok.

Mammie2
New Wolly

Postby Mammie2 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:59 pm

That is very interesting. As I am Rhesus Negative too and the baby that had IUGR was Rhesus positive. The placenta wasnt taken away for tests but doctors did not see any problems with it. I would be really interested in hearing how your SIL gets on and whether they come to some conclusion on why it happened.

Thanks
Mammie2

Next

Go to Mums & Kids

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T