15 weeks pregnant, sore throat, dry cough what can I take?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
Hi, Basically feeling miserable! I think there is no point in going to doctor as they don't give anything for colds. My throat is so sore and I have a dry cough. I know the normal lemsip is allowed, so I presume paracetamol is ok too?? What else can u tKe for a dry sore throat?
starting over Posts: 62
Manuka honey is excellent for sore throats. Go for a high strength one for maximum anti bacterial properties.
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
ThZnks stsrting over, would I get that in a chemist?
Ya a chemist or health shop. It's not cheap but it's well worth it. The higher the strength the more you'll pay. Think I pay about €25 for the one I buy but it lasts ages. You can take it straight off the spoon and let it dissolve in your mouth or dissolve in hot fresh lemon juice to ease a cough or general I cold symptoms.
streaks Posts: 3592
It's not recommended to take honey while pregnant girls due to botulism. I was very sick at beginning of pregnancy with throat/ ear infection etc and was advised by chemist to avoid honey.
I think the potential risk of botulism from honey is extremely slight in adults. I know it's not recommended for children under the age of two because their intestines are not developed enough to deal with any bacteria which may possibly be present. But an adult should have no problems, making the risk of developing botulism extremely unlikely. It's not recommended to eat unpasteurised honey but I wouldn't worry about the pasteurised kind. Like anything you can find differing advice everywhere about what's safe and unsafe in pregnancy and some advice can be ott on the precautionary side. My doctor actually recommended honey for coughs and colds.
streaks Posts: 3592
It's mad the different advice that's out there, I was quite sick during the summer and advised to steer clear. It was manuka honey I was buying aswell. I too their advice and avoided it, but as a teacher in a special school, it's safe to say I'm over cautious at times, as I've daily visual reminders of how easily things can go wrong.