2 Godmothers or 2 Godfathers... Too weird??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Penny_Bride2Be Posts: 254
Am in a little of a quandary in terms of picking godparents for our little one. Each of us want one of our sisters - is it too weird to have two same-sex godparents?
Secondtime Posts: 320
Hiya, I don't think so. One of our babies has two godfathers and nobody batted an eyelid. I think it's more important to have the people you want than having one of each gender. I also know of a lo who has two godfathers & a godmother.
MrsL2012 Posts: 50
Hi, same here, I'm one of two Godmothers to my niece. Her dad is my brother and her mum's sister is the other one. No one said it was weird at all
Snuffy Posts: 1492
Ds has 2 godmothers and a godfather. So not weird to me anyway.
Chica1 Posts: 793
I've heard of it being done before. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'd prefer to pick Godparents for the reasons that I'd think they'd make suitable Godparents rather than picking a male and a female just 'coz it's traditional.
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
Not too weird at all, but some priests can be funny about it. My sister had to apply for a dispensation from the bishop to have 2 godmothers for my niece, and he wouldn't allow it! My nephew has 2 godmothers and the priest didn't bat an eyelid. Very frustrating that there isn't consistency.
Penny_Bride2Be Posts: 254
Thanks girls. Looks like the place I need to start is with the priest to see if he'll give it the OK