2 under 2!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hol1985 Posts: 22
Hi girls, Just looking for some advice/experience!! My little girl is nearly 8 and a half months and im expecting again! I will have a 16month age gap! eeek! Busy times ahead but very excited!! Just trying to budget things already as Im heading back to work soon and wont have too much time on my hands. Basically just wondering did many of you return to work full time after this? Also, iv just sat my leaving cert Irish and im after applying to Hibernia. Primary Teaching has always been my dream job since I was in Primary School myself and Iv now decided to take the plunge. Am I mad? Im not worried job wise at all. Subbing will suit me at the start with two young babies but just worried Im taking on a big challenge possibly too big and im terrified I will put the household under financial strain! Would love a little bit of advice if anyone has been in a similar situation or even a little reassurance!!!! xxx
winterbridegal Posts: 406
Lgray. Congrats on your great news! yes you will be busy. If i were you i wouldnt be thinking ahead too much and just take on one thing at a time and see where it goes. Finish the Irish and get your results. Then apply to Hibernia and see do you get in. Then you can decide. I too sat the LC irish and got my honnor in it and may use in the future again however i was advised by many teachers at the time to not give up a full time job if i had it at the moment as it is even difficult to get subbing work and that is with 3 in my Family teachers. There are alot of surplus teachers out there. I may do it at some stage though when my financial sistuation allows me. At the moment we could not afford to on one wage for a year and a half while studying and then wait for work. If it was me and i had no financial worries then i would definitely go ahead and do what is in your heart. Good luck with it and you are so right to take the plunge. I know i wasnt much help but all i say is take it one step at a time.
Thanks for coming back to me! Yes I am the worst over thinker ever! Do you have kids yourself? Its such a tough decision. Baby number one was a dream baby, slept through the night at 9 weeks and has a great little personality.. never cross! It could be a totally different story next time around!!
winterbridegal Posts: 406
None yet but one on the way. Go for it if the money allows you to. you wont be sorry you tried at least.
Congratulations! I know, will leave outcome of interview & Irish determine whats next for me!
gopro Posts: 1801
we've 17month gap the 1st few weeks for tough but it wasn't too bad. I tried to keep both on a similar feeding and nap and bedtime. they are now almost 2 and 6.5 months. they both go to bed at 7.30 so we've our evenings back in our case we both alternate going to gym/training been organised is so important but it will work once you get into a routine
DM09 Posts: 261
We had 15 months between our girls (now just turned 2 and 9 months) but also have a 4 and a half year old boy. I did go back to work for 6 months between the two girls but found it difficult to have time for everything. I am now starting a career break (my job is in the local authority). If you look into the future and you know that you want this, for sometime in your future, go for it if you know you will get real support from your husband.
[list:2i6nqt7h][/list:u:2i6nqt7h] Thanks girls. Great to hear of some experience. I definately think the 1st few weeks will be tough but Id say its great when you see them together at an older age! My little girl fell into a great routine 7-7 from nine weeks so Im hoping that it will go like that with baby number 2. What was the reaction like when you went back to work? Im only back two days and dreading when I start showing and having to tell them again.
anonimoose Posts: 4
I've a 1 year & 20 days age gap between my two so a less than 13 mths age gap. My first DD was very easy manage, slept through the night from 7 wks old etc but my 2nd a little boy is totally different, difficult to settle and still waking 3 times a night at 3 months old. It is hard work having two close in age. You have to be ultra organised and there are never enough hours in the day. Sorry can't help on your dilema about trying for teaching but i know i wouldn't have any time for studying at the moment or for the foreseeable future. I will be returning to work full time when my maternity leave ends as I'm the main bread-winner in our house and mortgage etc still has to be paid
DM09 Posts: 261
When I went back to work, I was almost 17 weeks (DD1 was 9 and a half months). I decided to email by boss (not HR) just before I returned to work and tell him so that he had any big plans or long term projects for me, he would know I wasn't going to be there for long. He was fine but I suppose he couldn't be any other way. I felt a little foolish for some reason even though I knew I shouldn't be ashamed of having two babies close together. There was a few comments from other random people who should have been minding their own business.