a few questions girls & holles street

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nofussbride Posts: 53
Girls, Am 6 weeks preggers and delighted. Its our first so slightly nervous. Went to Doc today and due to the fact that I am moving counties at 7 months, we decided to go public. I rang holles street and made my appointment which is at 15 weeks, i asked if I would be scanned that day but was told not necessary, you will be referred for a scan. I am presuming that i will have to wait till 20 weeks to get this scan I would really like a 12 week scan to ease my mind before we tell people plus I would like to be sure there ant two in there. Anyone know where we can get one done privately on the south side? anyone had an experience of holles street? is it okay to continue with excercise, i just generally do a lot of walking and astanga yoga? Last question, going to states at 15 week, 10 hour flight. should I go, forgot to ask Docs all of the above as it was all too exciting today!!![/b]
newly_wed Posts: 1039
Firstly, MANY congrats on your BFP!!!! :o)ll :o)ll Its such an exciting time but also such a learning curve too so its normal to have a million questions! :o0 [quote="nofussbride":14qz42ir]Girls, I would really like a 12 week scan to ease my mind before we tell people plus I would like to be sure there ant two in there. Anyone know where we can get one done privately on the south side? [/quote:14qz42ir] We had a private scan done at 11 weeks in Mount Carmel hospital in their Early Preg Unit - u don't have to be a patient there to book a scan. It was amazing and so relaxed there - we got to see the baby for ages, the midwife doing the scan talked us through everything and we got some cool photos too. defo recommend it! We've had lots of scans and even a 3d scan done since but this first scan was still the most special to us as it was such an overwhelming feeling to see that everything was ok and our baby, as tiny as he/she was then was moving SO much!! :lvs [quote="nofussbride":14qz42ir]Girls, anyone had an experience of holles street? [/quote:14qz42ir] I am semi-private with Holles St and am very happy with them so far. Have found the ante-natal and breastfeeding classes there very good, and the staff lovely to deal with. [quote="nofussbride":14qz42ir]Girls, is it okay to continue with excercise, i just generally do a lot of walking and astanga yoga? [/quote:14qz42ir] Walking definitely ok. For the yoga I'd mention it to your yoga instructor and see what he/she says. Its also fine to fly in pregnancy - I asked my g.p. about this as I had to fly earlier in my pregnancy. just drink plenty of water, wear your flight socks and move around on the plane, stretch your legs etc. Hope this helps and here's to a healthy 9 months for u! :wv
Thanks very much, i can go to bed with a clear mind now!!! Will book that scan for mount carmel defo. Was it expensive?
alton Posts: 3077
I would second the Mt Carmel scan too - like yourself, I just didn't want to wait until 22 weeks to see the baby and it made all the difference to me to see the little fella dancing around on the screen. Everything became very real for me at that point. Can't remember how much it was - €180 I think but can't be certain. There are a few places that you can get them - Charlemont Clinic, Beacon Clinic, Blackrock Clinic and the prices vary. Or there is also the option of a 3d/4d scan although this is not a medical scan like the others so they aren't going to be checking for abnormalities etc. As regards the yoga, I know a lot of pregnancy yoga classes prefer you to be around the 14 week mark before joining. But I've always heard that if you are already doing a type of exercise before you get pregnant, there is no reason to stop it, it's just not advised to take up something new in the first trimester.
Florrie06 Posts: 316
Congratulations on the BFP!! I was also semi-private in Holles Street and found them to be excellent although the 20 week scan maybe the only scan you will have if there are no complications. My consultant didn't do mini-scans at each visit and only referred me for a later scan due to an existing medical condition I have. However the care I received was excellent and I thoroughly recommend the ante-natal classes there and also the pregancy yoga classes they run.
Thanks,I thought that you would have more scans in holles street if you were semi private. I am public. Does anyone know what the main difference is between semi private and public. I have VHI cover option B, does this mean I should be semi private? I think as I am moving in a couple of months the main reason the doc said not to bother paying for semi private and private as its towards the end when I will need the care I will then have moved out of dublin and he didnt see the point in paying for a consultant we werent going to use.
alton Posts: 3077
I wish I understood the diff between public and semi-p. We went semi-p thinking that since we had the insurance we might as well and everytime we go near the hospital there seems to be another bill to pay. I haven't a clue what the insurance covers at all, besides the remote possiblity of a slightly less-public ward at the end of it all (and I'm hoping to be able to come home straight away anyway) I think that when you are semi-p you are booked in with a particular consultant who you see on every visit, but with no guarantees about who will be on duty at the actual birth. On public, you could see a different consultant every time, but two of my friends who went public saw the same consultant on every visit...............so to cut a long story short, I don't have a clue what the difference is!