Menu

Abnormal bloods at 31 wks?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

junglegirl Posts: 239
I just got call from my gp to say bloods I had checked routinely last week have shown some abnormalaties.My glucose is elevated so I am going for glucose tolerance test on Wed.She also said my thyoid function is not normal and I may need to go on Eltroxin.She will discuss all with me on Wed.Since I took phonecall I am so upset.I have had such a great pregnancy it was the last thing I expected.Poor hubby came home to find me bawling looking up all this on the net.I know I'm overreacting but it took us 2 years to get pregnant and I just never thought anything was wrong.Has any one had any experience with thyroid problems when pregnant?Thanks for reading,feel better even after just writing this down.
theoracle Posts: 7664
Whilst I have not had a thyroid problem, I just wanted to offer some re-assurance. I had a liver metabolism issue when pregnant (cholestasis) on my last pregnancy, which is associated with stillbirth, so I know where you are coming from. The most important thing is that they have identified the issue and that you will be treated for it, that is what matters, because by addressing the issue, they will actually be managing the risk. Also try not to worry about the glucose test, glucose can sometimes be elevated in the blood in pregnancy, just see how you get on with the tolerance test, and again, GD is something that can be successfully managed through the pregnancy. I know it is not easy, but they will be keeping a close eye on you and monitoring you closely, so take some comfort in the fact that these issues were discovered timely and will be managed. Wishing you all the best of luck!
McDanny Posts: 1435
Hi there, I've an underactive thyroid but its a condition I've had for the past 2.5 years and not just pregnancy related. I take Eltroxin and the basic idea is that I needed to increase my dose while I was pregnant, for example, I went from 75mcg per day to 125 per day and I had bloods checked approx every 6 to 8 weeks. The main things is getting the dosage right as you can feel quite unwell if you don't get the balance right. My endocrinologist told me the other day that the day I deliver I need to go straight back to my pre-pregnancy dose, otherwise I could start to feel pretty rotten in the space of a few days. Before I got pregnant her main concern was to up my dosage as soon as I got pregnant as apparantly lack of the hormone in the early stages can possibly cause miscarriage. No need for either of us to worry about that at this stage. I plan to breastfeed and thats fine, there is no crossover once the dosage is correct. Perhaps your thyroid is just borderline. I assume you had bloods done earlier in your pregnancy and this is the first time its shown up? Thats all I can think of for now but if anything else comes to mind I'll let you know. Try not to worry too much.
fxfor3 Posts: 2347
I have no experience of the glucose test but i do have an underactive thyroid which ive had for the last 5 years. Its really nothing to worry about . you will probably be put on a table to take each day. I had read before that pregnancy can cause your thyroid to act up so thats probably the reason its routinely tested for. Mine has always stayed the same during last pregnancy and so far this pregnacy so i havent had to up the dosage. If your worried maybe ring your gp tomorrow and get him/her to explain it properly to you which might put your mind at ease.
Finished here Posts: 2860
My sil has both these issues when she was pg and thankfully the glucose was alright after the glucose test but she did have to go on meds for the thyroid which she is still on but nephew was born perfect and has no problems and she has managed the condition fine with medication. Please God everything will be fine for you also and thankfully the GP picked it up.
junglegirl Posts: 239
Thanks so much for your replies.I feel so much better reading them.I had an abnormal tsh years ago but it didnt require treatment as it was normal on recheck.I just got such a fright I had never heard of this before.Again thanks girls,you dont realise how much you have helped put my mind at rest. :wv