Advice on haggling for dress

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dresstoimpress Posts: 1719
Ok I'm crap at haggling, and I need help. Serious help, because I can't even see how I'd broach the subject. The manager in the shop knows I really love the dress, of course she does or I wouldn't even be considering buying it. She also knows I traveled all over the country to find one, and she has one of the few dress that I feel in love with, and that I'm not able to travel up north for a bargain. So she has all the cards really!! How do you go from trying on the dress and loving it (I'm not great at hiding my emotions) to suddenly being not sure and asking for a discount??? Sounds stupid but what are the exact words you'd use????
happyfamily Posts: 3323
I would just tell her that you love the dress but you're budget is tight so could she give you anything off the dress or maybe she could do you a deal if you get the veil from her as well. I didn't get anything off my dress but i got 60e off each of my BM dresses coz i got everything in the same shop. Make sure you get an estimate for the alterations too. Mine will be 120e approx but i've heard of them costing alot more. Good luck!
rianna Posts: 770
Before I started planning a wedding I would have been morto asking for discounts or haggling, but now I reckon I could win Olympic gold in it if it was a sport!! I would do the following Tell her either you found that dress or another dress that you have fallen in love with through another stockist, but it's down to price. The other one is a bit cheaper, but you love her dress a little bit more. Is it possible that she could do anything with the price? If no, is it possible that she could add something in, eg a Veil? You might not always get a discount through every supplier but it is definitely definitely worth asking. Even if you have already agreed on a price on something. If you don't ask you don't get! The thing I found to get a successful haggle is to always stay pleasant, ask while smiling and be natural as if you were asking a friend for a small favour. Don't be embarrassed, even if you only save 50 euro, that could be one more guest at a wedding! A friend of mine thought I was mad asking for discounts everywhere but she has never planned a wedding and when you do you'll realise quickly that every penny goes a long way. No supplier will sell something at a loss to you, if they want your business badly enough they'll be willing to work with you! Good luck!
happyfamily Posts: 3323
[quote="rianna":2q3h9i1y] Don't be embarrassed, even if you only save 50 euro, that could be one more guest at a wedding! A friend of mine thought I was mad asking for discounts everywhere but she has never planned a wedding and when you do you'll realise quickly that every penny goes a long way. ![/quote:2q3h9i1y] Exactly! Every small discount you get adds up and every penny doesn matter so haggle or at the very least so lots of shopping around so you're well informed about what you should expect to pay.
dresstoimpress Posts: 1719
Thanks for the replies!! Going to try it anyway, but can imagine myself blushing and stumbling over my words!! :o0