Advice please - very confused

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Suzanne Posts: 172
Hi, I've been with my present employer for 6 months. Hubbie and I had planned to start a family over the next few months and I don't intend returning to work afterwards. Heres my dilemma......my boss has just told me that he (and his position) will move to Dublin in July. I have a few options but my head is wrecked so any advice would be greatly appreciated: - I could jack it all in now and look for another job but the thought of starting all over again for the sake of another year or so (hopefully!) is killing me. I'm also worried that I may not be entitled to full maternity pay as I won't be with the company that long (I know that employers are not obliged to pay this but most of the large corporates do which is where I work anyway) - I could stick it out for the next year. My boss is leaving in July but he has assured me that he will make sure that I'm looked after although there are no jobs currently on my level or higher so I would have to take a more junior position (I'm assuming that my pay will still stay the same) - He has also asked me if I'd consider relocating to London to work for him (same company). I have no idea what this would entail but we could get a rental allowance etc so money wise this could work out financially well for us. I have a few concerns with this option though.....I'm assuming that my benefits/entitlements regarding maternity leave will stay the same as I would work for the same company but what would happen with my VHI, would I have to accumulate 12 months with another company in the UK before I could benefit from this. Is maternity leave/pay etc done the same in the UK? I really wanted to be close to my family etc when I became pregnant and had the baby so I don't even know if this would realistically work for us. Anyone in the same boat? What would you do, any advice? Apologies for the long winded email :D Thanks for taking the time to read it.
Hollymax Posts: 155
Suzanne, its not clear from your message - where are you currently based? Id stick it out with the same company until Bambino arrives (which Im assuming will take 9 months) - that plus your 6 months service will probably entitle you to maternity leave and benefits (most corporates require 12 months service). Then just as your due to return.... resign!
Thanks Hollymax, thats the option that I'm leaning towards but I don't know if I would be able to stick it out in a more junior position to be honest. And of course I could be stuck there alot longer depending on how long it takes for me to get pregnant :roll: I'm currently based in Dublin by the way. Cheers
sorry just realised that I said that my boss has told me that he was moving to Dublin in July - I meant to say that we are currently based in Dublin and that he is moving to London. This is headwrecking stuff :roll:
Hollymax Posts: 155
Suzanne - Id say lie back and enjoy getting paid same salary for less responsibilies. You stated that you want to leave work eventually when the baby comes along - so no career damage there. Take your time and don't feel pressurised into decision.
can\'touchthis Posts: 181
Hi Suzanne, Bit of a headwrecker, hope you find the right solution for you. I live in the Uk and maternity benefits are pretty good here. Under UK law you are entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay if you have been employed by the same employer without a break for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due. Under law you are entitled to 26weeks leave. The minimum you are entitled to is 90 per cent of your average weekly earnings for the first 6weeks and the standard rate SMP of £106 for the remaining 20weeks. This is the minimum & many companies offer much more. I work for a large public sector firm and I am entitled to 6 weeks on full pay, 12weeks on half pay and the remainder at the £106 rate. The best policy is to ask! Its completely reasonable for you to ask your boss what the package would be if you did relocate. That package should include what maternity benefits they are offering. Good luck Sx
Thanks Sarah, that was really useful info, exactly what I was looking for :D