Alvor, Portugal - anyone been?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Debb2010 Posts: 831
Girls, has anyone been to Alvor? We're thinking of going for a week in September. We're oldies (42 & 43) & not looking for a mad place - just somewhere with fab beaches, nice restaurants and some bars for a few post-dinner cocktails. Somewhere with a nice town to wander round and maybe a few sightseeing trips. It looks great on various websites but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's been there and also for hotel recommendations (hotel set on beach if at all poss!)
Snuffy Posts: 1492
Hi, I went a few years ago and stayed in prainha village. It's not in alvor bit its a few mins by taxi, so probably a bit further than you want, but it has it's own private beach. Alvor is lovely! Definately not your typical teen on the Piss up holiday spot but it does have late bars and lots of lovely beaches. It's a nice town to walk around but it's small so you'd do it in one evening. I'd definately recommend it! Went after I stayed above to Praia da rocha with h2b and ds and brought them out to alvor one evening and h2b loved it.
dreamer Posts: 3941
Hi debb, Would definitely recommend it. It s lovely little town with lots of restaurants, a fab beach and definitely alot quieter than most resorts. Its also a great place from which to base yourself to do some sightseeing etc.
Debb2010 Posts: 831
Thanks a million girls - it sounds perfect for us - hopefully we'll book in the next week or two!