Antenatal Classes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Elliecat Posts: 2725
I went to my first ante natal class last night - what a waste of time. I had been in two minds whether to go to any or not, but thought last nights might have been quite good, it was with the public health nurse, supposedly to talk about colic, crying, safety in the home and your feelings after birth etc, and was supposed to be on from 7.30 to 9pm. We arrived a few minutes late and honestly, I think she was actually finished before we got there! She started over for us, but spent the next 5 minutes talking directly to me and dh, as everyone else had obviously already heard it, then asked everyone if there was any questions, and more or less said that was it until someone asked about the TENS machines and breastfeeding (neither of which were supposed to be covered last night). She waffled on about these till about 8 o'clock, we heard her life history including a full cv and she kept saying, don't be on your own, pick up the phone if you've any problems. That was it. Total waste of time, especially since both of us had to rush home from work to get to it. I didn't learn anything new at all, and she didn't exactly inspire a great deal of confidence in the public health nurses either. We only have time to go to a couple more in the New Year (provided babs doesn't come early!) but if last night is an indication of what they'll be like, I don't think I'll bother.
Rubee Posts: 483
thats not much help for you, where did you go for the class? mine are starting tomorrow night
newyearbabs Posts: 686
Hi I done private classes and have to say they where excellent. I went to one in holles st and it was terrible I didn't go back for anymore in there I just went to get a look at the labour ward
Idina Posts: 1289
I didn't bother with them, I did go to breast feeding class though which I thought was excellent
It was in Armagh. One of the ones we might get to in the New Year is on breastfeeding, so I'd like to go to that one if possible - its done by a midwife, so hopefully it'll be more useful. Definitely not going to any others after last night though!
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Ellicat im not bothering going to any at all. My sister had a baby 2 years ago so i know the basics of feeding, changing and washing. Im doing Hypnobirthing and know all about interevntions, pain relief, etc. I dont think they would be of benefit to me. I will try and get to a breastfeeding class but thats it. Have you started listening to the CDs yet?
Hi NLTG, to be honest I was thinking along the same lines as yourself, especially since I've done so much research on all the various forms of pain relief etc and am also doing the hypnobirthing, but it was actually my sister (mum of three) who convinced me to go because she reckoned they were useful - obviously she had someone different taking the class to me! I started listening to the first CD this week, haven't gotten round to reading the next bit of the book or using the second cd yet. How are you finding it? I fell asleep during the music of the first one, but then I found it got really loud ad I turned it off at that stage. How long does the music go on for and are you supposed to keep it on until the end or just use it for half an hour or so?? How does your dh view the whole thing? Is he listening to them with you?
Sassy Posts: 2269
I have booked into one of the private all day courses. It just didn't suit me to go to the holles street ones.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
[quote="Elliecat":athngzod]Hi NLTG, to be honest I was thinking along the same lines as yourself, especially since I've done so much research on all the various forms of pain relief etc and am also doing the hypnobirthing, but it was actually my sister (mum of three) who convinced me to go because she reckoned they were useful - obviously she had someone different taking the class to me! I started listening to the first CD this week, haven't gotten round to reading the next bit of the book or using the second cd yet. How are you finding it? I fell asleep during the music of the first one, but then I found it got really loud ad I turned it off at that stage. How long does the music go on for and are you supposed to keep it on until the end or just use it for half an hour or so?? How does your dh view the whole thing? Is he listening to them with you?[/quote:athngzod] Hi, i put on Disk 1 and listened to the birth affirmations and birth rehersal (one where she talks about the red mist, etc) the next track is the birth music (no talking) i havent listened to this yet i dont think you have to use it until you are in labour. The part i listen to lasts 30 mins i keep falling asleep too but wake when she comes to the part where she counts you out of it so my subconscious must be taking it in. I also listened to the gentle birth bonding - disk 2 yesterday, it only lasts about 10 mins. I usually listen to it in the sitting room lying on the couch and DH is beside me reading the Bradley method book (similar to hypnobirthing where your DH is your coach so he has to learn how to make sure i stay relaxed and breath slowly, etc). He is all on for it cos his Mam suffers with terrible back pain caused by the epidural and he is encouraging me to try all other things to avoid me needing it. I sort of skimmed through the workbook, it talks about visualising your birth every night before you go to bed which i do. Im not really afraid of giving birth but i saw on disk 3, track 2 is about fear release but i havent listened to it yet. Have you joined the online group yet? i havent.