Menu

any mums of hungry boys - please help!! (11 week old)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

oohbaby Posts: 164
hi girls have a very hungry 11 week old and am run ragged with lack of sleep just wondering anyone whos been there done that, or has similar baby, any tips? am breastfeeding exclusively and he's feeding every 2/2.5 maybe 3 hours if im lucky. have tried cluster feeding, offering water and dreamfeeding, none of them seem to stretch him out at night. dont think its growth spurt either as he has been like this for about 2 weeks now, where he used to feed less frequebtly and for longer, now he feeds for about 5 mins and more frequently and would suck all day if i let him! any help or advice great
Mrs Electric Posts: 1939
i think its time for baby rice, just a spoon here and there to start with, my ds was the same, hunger was waking him so i started rice when he was 3 mths old and it did the trick.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
[quote="oohbaby":2pjs6ajc] where he used to feed less frequebtly and for longer, now he feeds for about 5 mins and more frequently and would suck all day if i let him! any help or advice great[/quote:2pjs6ajc] It sounds like he is only snacking ie not taking a big feed so it isnt going to last him too long. I would try and encourage him to take a bigger feed. If he is only feeding for 5 mins he probably isnt getting the hind milk so he wont be satisfied for long. Im sure the girls on the breastfeeding support thread will give you tips. Personally i would be reluctant to give solids at 11 weeks especially when it could just be a simple problem.
the moms Posts: 1427
Hiya, I agree with NLTG. I'd hold off on the baby rice, he's very little. It does sound like he's gotten into a snacking habit. Is there any way you can hold him out between feeds so that he'll take a bigger feed each time? You could try soother/distraction/walk in the buggy/etc. Anything at all!! Does he take both sides at each feed?
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
My DS was like this for 12 weeks, every 2 hours without fail. Then he just stretched out his feeds himself. I know it is hard and not ideal but I do feel boys are hungrier. Just try to get loads of rest and eat plenty. Especially porridge which is great for your supply. It will pass. It was just one big huge long growth spurt. I did try to distract him with people telling me he wasn't hungry etc but he was. S
mammybean Posts: 10364
Hi ya its so hard isnt it having an extremely hungry baby. ds1 was prem born at 35 wks. i had to start him on rice at 13 week by advice of PHN, he was 2.5 times his birth weigt and i just couldnt keep him in bottles. this time ds2 again was born at 36 weeks and i bought all the weaiing gear last week at 13 weeks as again i couldnt satify him. he had been going 8-8 and all of a shot he wanted bottle around 10.30/11 and again at 5. i was trying to hold out on the weaning saying we will do it tomorrow - every day lol. but he seems to have regulated himself again, he now drinks 4/5 9oz bottles a day
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
Just on the rice front, my parents in law who are very supportive of breast feeding were always on about rice. I used to call them the rice brigade. Anyway at 5 months I started to wean him to solids, he still fed at night till 7 and a half months when he weaned himself off night feeds. I just wanted to say that solid food doesn't always help!
oohbaby Posts: 164
thanks girls the snacking thing definitely makes sense, i thought myself that might be it , that he wasnt getting to the fattier hind milk meaning that he wasnt feeling full for long....so if anyone knows how to break a snacking habit please let me know! thanks
mrs mammy Posts: 1487
Hi have you tried expressing yet? My little fella was very like yours and we found he drank more from the bottle than when I fed him myself, he would fall asleep when I was feeding him or feed for a very short time. We found he ate LOADS during the day (he was practically hanging off me) and slept through the night.
mummytime Posts: 3149
I had a very similiar experience to DQ. My ds was a very hungry baby and for the first 3 months, I was feeling every 2.5/3 hours. After the three month growth spurt, he started to stretch himself and i was only feeding him at 7, 11, 3, 7, 11. Hang in there