Anyone consider a disc only package from photographer?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

b2b2010 Posts: 85
Hi Girls Just looking for advice on booking the disc only package from a photographer and putting our own album together. Has anyone tried this? I heard there is a service provided by apple- iphoto where you send them your photos and they can put together a story book for you. Thanks girls
BallintubberBride Posts: 6
Hey, I asked my photographer about this option as we intend on making our own albums using iPhoto. The albums you can create are amazing, inexpensive, fast delivery and you can make different albums for parents or gifts to bridal party etc. Our photographer wouldn't do a photograph only deal because they make their money on the albums and have to spend days changing all the photos to high resolution or something. We did however get the rights to all of our photographs (very important to do) which he will put on CD and an album for a good price. Worth talking to your photographer about it though, it also means that your friends and family don't have to buy photos directly from the photographer ( they could just access them on a facebook site or something). Hope this helps :wv
msb Posts: 399
Was going to go for an album but to be honest I think that the CD package is going to appeal to a lot of people who are cutting back but still want beautiful photos... Thing is you could always get your album done at a later date when its more affordable and the budget is not so tight! I know a few people who have done it this way and I think I'll be following suit... We can thank Mr Cowen ( O:| ) for the penny-pinching!
Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
We are going with this option. I know the photographers daughter so am getting a bit of a deal on it. We're going to buy an album on ebay and do put the whole album together ourselves. Htb wants a traditional album whereas I'd be happier with the 'book' type album offered with some of the websites. As OP said, I think a lot of people will go down this route now due to cost saving, etc.
mrswifey09 Posts: 1300
we're going with a cd only package, we were going with this from the beginning and im glad thats what we booked as think we can pick up a much nicer album than what the photograpers provide!
Belleboo Posts: 924
My brother & his wife did this and they have a fabulous wedding book and one of their honeymoon. They had a friend take the photos (very good amateur with a good camera) so they saved an absolute packet!
blissful2b Posts: 1555
there are lots of sites like mypublisher.com etc where you can print your own photo books. great if you are on a budget. won't be the same quality but sure who cares if your happy with it! most of the photographers we looked at did offer the CD only package... sure if you find yourself with a bit of spare cash you can always go back and get the album at a later date from photographer
fruitypie Posts: 826
I went for the CD only option and I'm in the middle of doing up our album at the mo on photobox.com I've used the site before the the quality is excellent. It takes a lot of time and effort but it's definately worth it. I did all the work in powerpoint and uploaded the slides as one pic per page.. [quote:2k2nky4r]won't be the same quality[/quote:2k2nky4r] Depends on what you mean by this, but I don't believe it at all.. There are some great sites out there that offer excellent quality albums. I saw a photobook from a 'professional' a while back and it looked as if the pics were just stook onto the page! Not my idea of a photobook!
visionary Posts: 86
[quote="fruitypie":den13se8]I went for the CD only option and I'm in the middle of doing up our album at the mo on photobox.com I've used the site before the the quality is excellent. It takes a lot of time and effort but it's definately worth it. I did all the work in powerpoint and uploaded the slides as one pic per page.. [/quote:den13se8] Fruitypie, you're right, Photobox is an excellent service and can provide some quality results. However, do not use PowerPoint! PowerPoint is an on-screen application, which means all of the images on it are 72dpi (dots per inch). The photos from your photographer will be 300dpi, or high res print quality. When you insert those pics into PowerPoint it automatically downgrades them to 72dpi, or low res print quality. You will lose over 4 times the detail from the original picture. Use Photobox by all means, but upload the pictures directly. Avoid PowerPoint! The difference will be something like this: [img:den13se8]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9003/restestjj6.jpg[/img:den13se8]
augustbride09 Posts: 214
I second Fruitypie! A friend of mine got married last year and didn't have a professional photographer so I compiled photos from guests in book form on Photobox. It looked brilliant - you can alter the size of pics and put 2-5 on one page or one large one with comments next to it. It comes in hardback and very cheap compared to a professional photographer!