Anyone have a diabetic cat?

Pets, Animal Issues...

Go to WOL Furry Friends

kitty092011
Mini Wolly

Anyone have a diabetic cat?

Postby kitty092011 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am

Hi All

I haven't been on in a while but wanted to pick your brains on this subject. Our cat has recently been diagnosed as diabetic, however we are getting conflicting opinions from the vets in the practice we attend.

One is insisting on insulin injections, which we are not sure about it is stressing our little pet out so much. Another has said try the diabetic dry diet alone while the practice nurse said she has a diabetic cat and buys wet low carbohydrate food online.

I would apprciate any advice especially if you have a diabetic cat. We want what is best for our baby whatever the cost.An independant opinion would be great as I have read so many articles saying that vet practices and cat food maufacturers are working hand in hand just to cash in.

Thanks.

Zaza
New Wolly

Re: Anyone have a diabetic cat?

Postby Zaza » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:58 am

Hi, my cat was diagnosed with diabetes last year. I suspect he had it for years so it had already caused some issues such as poor eyesight, poor digestion, tiredness and weak muscles in his legs. Once he took the insulin after eating twice a day he looked so much more energetic and happier so I would recommend sticking with it. If you catch it early enough it may even be possible to reverse the diabetes after a few months. Normal cow milk must be stopped, our cat loved milk so we gave him lactose free milk ( from tesco) sparingly. We started giving him more meat as a full dry diet contains too much sugar. I would recommend the website http://www.zooplus.co.uk for ordering cat food. We mainly bought cans of Applaws tuna / chicken meat tins, some 80% applaws dry chicken food and any bag of diabetic dry cat food. Hope that helps!

kitty092011
Mini Wolly

Postby kitty092011 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks Zaza, we have been getting on very well so far without the insulin. Her glucose levels have dropped 13 points since we changed her food, we are feeding her Bozita its crazy how much of a change it makes.

We only ever gave her the lactose free milk but have stopped it as I really don't want her to have to endure an injection twice a day. I will do anything to avoid it.

So far so good, thanks again for your advice it is greatly appreciated.

emalou
New Wolly

Postby emalou » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:39 am

HI, I have a diabetic cat, she is quite old, Around 13. She was diagnosed last year but suspect she had it for some time. She has an insulin injection twice a day. Once in the morning 30 minutes after food and once in the evening 30 minutes after food. It was hard at first she obviously doesn't like having an injection but she has got use to it. And she is doing very well. It does take time to get into a routine and at the beginning she was having regular check ups every two weeks. Once her insulin levels regulated we didn't have to bring her to the vet as much and now goes every few months. We did try her on the diabetic cat food but she didn't like it. She did lose some weight by not feeding her as much but cats are creatures of habit and they like what they like. Our cat now eats regular cat food whenever she wants it as long as she gets her injection twice daily she is fine. How is your cat doing now? If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

meme134
New Wolly

Postby meme134 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 am

Hey I don't know if your issue has been sirted but I would recommend you possibly go for a consult in the cat hospital its in glanmire in cork. Would be worth it to put your mind at ease and you can then continue treatment with your own vet

Go to WOL Furry Friends