Anyone know how to send a telegram?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
My boss has asked me to send a telegram to a colleague of his for his wedding tomorrow. How the frig does one send a telegram??!! I have found one company online but you have to set up a business account with them and they haven't responded to my request to do so. I think 4pm today is the latest I can organise it - anyone any ideas?
theoracle Posts: 7664
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
A Telegram is also a fax or an email. I use to get people sending emails and faxes to the hotel where I use to work for the bride & groom! HTH :o)ll
Yeah thats the one I looked at - they only allow you to send from business accounts and you have to e-mail them to apply for one. I've done that and they haven't responded. It says if you don't want to send from a business account to go their UK website where they charge £1 per word! And words of more than 11 letters are charged as 2 words so even to say Congratulations would cost £2 :o0
JustBecause Posts: 3242
I tried to send one internationally for a guest 4 yearss ago and was told that they don't do them anymore (Eircom and Canadian telecom people) so offered to do a fax or e-mail to the hotel instead. It's quite normal for the hotel to pass them on to the Bestman. Could you do a fax out nicely so they could save it? Just saw TheOracle's post (you really are the fount of all knowledge :wv ) doesn't look like you need to do a business account. Best of luck
theoracle Posts: 7664
Sorry, just cottoned on it is probably the same crowd...in the olden days it was the post office, but I can'T see anything on the an post web-site...maybe try itelegram.com I think it is run by Western Union...
Yeah had a look at that too - super expensive. I know is not my money but I'd find it hard to pay $25 just for the privilege of sending it and then another $1 per word! Who uses these services for those prices?! Feck it, I'll just tell him I'll send an e-mail.
Mrs2babridesoon Posts: 3319
I'd send the message by fax or email and follow it up with a phone call just to double check it will be passed on!
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
I would clarify with your boss that he really wants a telegram sent and not a fax. In general it's faxes and emails that are read out at weddings now. Maybe he'd be willing to move with the times on this!
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
SSF, heres exactly what you do, you go into the kitchen, put on the kettle, get him out his favourite mug, and make him a nice hot cup of do it you f*ckin self :o0 That or just fax or email it in, we do that for staff/former staff alot from my job.