Menu

April 9, 2005 - Vendor Recommendations

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Julie Posts: 14
Wedding was great. Here are my reports on the vendors: VENUE – Clontarf Castle Hotel – Ph: 01-833-2321 – The banquet manager and wedding coordinator were great for the few days leading up to the wedding and of course on the day. The Great Hall was very impressive. Everyone is still going on about the food. Everything was top notch. PHOTOGRAPHER – Hilton Photography – Ph: 01-840-3540 Bernard Hilton – Bernard was great. We started to get pretty tired of smiling and posing but Bernard’s smile and upbeat personality kept us going until the pictures were finished. We got the album back last week (very fast!) and are very pleased. CAR HIRE – Hilton Photography – Bernard also had a white Rolls Royce to use for the day. BUS HIRE – Dublin Bus – Ph: 01-873-4222 – We hired the “Wedding Bus” to take guests from the hotel to the church and back. The bus driver took some sort of roundabout way of getting to the church, which got the guests there late, which in turn made my “late” arrival look early. That kinda sucked. But, the guests seemed to enjoy the atmoshphere on the bus so we were happy enough. HAIR AND MAKE UP – Sarah Ashe – Ph: 086-824-8478 – Sarah was wonderful! She made me look BEAUTIFUL! The one day you want to look your absolute best and Sarah made it happen. She also did the hair and make up for my mom and maid of honor. They both looked wonderful. We were all very pleased with her work and from the comments of the guests, everyone else agreed. Sarah was there most of the morning and was a joy to have around. She seems to have been a part of quite a few weddings and was able to answer our questions on what was coming up for the day. She even helped my maid of honor help me into my dress. She was all around fabulous. Can’t recommend her enough. BAND – The Creations – Ph: 087-293-5822 Pierce O’Brien – They were great. The dance floor was full throughout their performance. Pierce was a pleasure to work with. The band is a huge part of all wedding receptions and you have to be sure to have a great band. The Creations fit the bill. Highly recommended. TRAD BAND – Temple House – Ph: 087-652-1375 Mary Corcoran – We had traditional music played at the drinks reception. They set a great atmosphere for our guests. They even had a few of our young cousins up with them Irish dancing. FLOWERS – Clontarf Flowers – I ordered my bouquet and the maid of honors bouquet from here since it was near the hotel. Big mistake – always go on recommendations – not location. I showed pictures of what I wanted to the owner who called her assistant over to also look at the pictures. Seems this was a waste of time – the bouquets delivered on the day looked nothing like the pictures I had shown them. The bouquets were TINY, the roses were small and closed, and both bouquets were wilted and brown by the time we made it in to dinner. I was charged 170 Euro for these. Definitely no recommendation here. DRESS – Alexandra’s Bridal – Ph: 01-874-4547 – Everyone here was fabulous. They were patient with me and helped pick out a dress that took 10 pounds off me. (Big points here)! TUX HIRE – Aston Formal Wear – Ph: 01-679-6100 – We went to Black Tie first since they are all over Dublin but all we found there were monkey suits. Luckily we found Aston Formal Wear. They fitted the groom and best man in elegant black tuxedos only a few days prior to the wedding. DJ – George Courtney – Ph: 087-262-8893 – As well as doing a wonderful job DJ’ing on the night, George also hooked us up with the trad band and the bagpiper. The day wouldn’t have been the same without his help. ORGANIST/SOLOIST – We hired the organist that works with the church we were married in. She put us in touch with a soloist. Turns out the organist wasn’t able to make it on the day so sent a substitute instead. I remember the priest having to cue them more than once during the ceremony. No recommendations here. BAGPIPER – Amazing Grace Pipers – Ph: 01-624-2645 Olga Thompson – We hired Emmet who wasn’t well on the day so sent a substitute. No problem there as he was fab. I think that is everything. If anybody has any questions about the vendors, feel free to email me. I would be happy to help. I live in New York and was able to plan this wedding with a lot of help from WOL. Most of my vendors were hired on recommendations I got from this website. The wedding was FABULOUS and I couldn’t have done it without you guys! Thanks so much WOL brides!
Julie Posts: 14
I forgot to mention the honeymoon. We stayed at Kuramathi Cottage & Spa in the Maldives. It was exactly what we were looking for. Beautiful sunsets, peaceful and relaxing, all around the perfect honeymoon spot. Perfect - I found out last week - the baby is due in January!!!!
bridie06 Posts: 94
Sounds fab - Congratulations on the baby, better get loads done and make the most of being a married couple before you become a married family. :D How quickly our lives change!!!
Sparklymum Posts: 1563
Congratulations on both the wedding and the baby! Best wishes for the future........
trishy Posts: 188
oh what great news about the bambino... the best of luck to you and thanks for the recommendations!