Are there any additional social welfare payments outside MB?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bright Star Posts: 756
Hi all I am just wondering if there is any additional payment you can apply for outside MB? My situation probably like a lot of others is that I won't get paid when out on Mat. Leave. This at the start didn't cause any major worry, as hubbie and I felt like we would manage somehow, that however was before our baby was diagnosed with a large omphalocele This means baby will have to be transferred to Crumlin for surgery and could be there for up to 6 Mts This was an expense we didn't visualise and now I am very worried about the cost of supporting ourselves in Dublin with new baby (we are from limerick) My husbands salary along with Mb will just about cover our mortgage and other personal loans Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks in advance
mrspiggy Posts: 1289
I'm not aware of any but it may be worth contacting citizens advice as they will be able to help if there are options for you. Good luck with everything.
pinky winky Posts: 564
I didn't want to read and not reply. I think if you ring citizens advice they are the best people to talk to and clearly outline what your entitlements would be. You could be entitled to the family income supplement. Hope everything goes well for your new little one.
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Citizens information are absolutely brilliant for advising on social welfare payments. Very best of luck to your little baby
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Sorry to hear about your lo Bright Star. Could ye look into taking a moratorium from your mortgage for 3-6 months? Afaik you can avail of up to 3 of these over the duration of your mortgage and it might free up some cash to give ye a bit of leeway while you're dealing with getting your lo well. I hope all goes well with baby x
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
Sorry to hear this - hope everything goes well. Be sure to check out the Ronald McDonald house at Crumlin, they provide very low-cost accommodation for parents of inpatients and you can stay as long as necessary.
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
Sorry to hear this, as mentioned I would look into Ronald McDonald house and I would most definitely talk to your bank - a bit of leeway on the mortgage would provide you with some breathing space and I know people who have looked for a break in the past and received it, on much less warranted circumstances. As well as Citizen's Advice, you could also talk to Dept of Social Protection and you may get on to someone helpful. I'm not sure if the fact that you are on mat leave would preclude you from many SW payments, but it is worth investigating the Family Income Supplement. I also think you could query if you would be entitled to a Medical Card. Hope everything goes well.
Bright Star Posts: 756
Thanks girls so much for your input and comments Very much appreciated x I will contact citizens advice and seek a meeting with our bank x
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
You could ask to speak with the relieving officer in your local social welfare office too.
Grey Alien Posts: 699
[quote="Bright Star":2rxgloyj]Hi all I am just wondering if there is any additional payment you can apply for outside MB? My situation probably like a lot of others is that I won't get paid when out on Mat. Leave. This at the start didn't cause any major worry, as hubbie and I felt like we would manage somehow, that however was before our baby was diagnosed with a large omphalocele This means baby will have to be transferred to Crumlin for surgery and could be there for up to 6 Mts This was an expense we didn't visualise and now I am very worried about the cost of supporting ourselves in Dublin with new baby (we are from limerick) My husbands salary along with Mb will just about cover our mortgage and other personal loans Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks in advance[/quote:2rxgloyj] Sorry to hear about your worries. I read this on the Citizen's Information website and wondered if it could apply to your situation. Perhaps you could still carry on working and getting paid, while your baby is in hospital? Postponing maternity leave Section 7 of the Maternity Protection (Amendment) Act 2004 provides for postponement of maternity leave in strict circumstances, that is, if your baby is hospitalised. This right to postpone leave applies whether you are on maternity leave, or on additional unpaid maternity leave. Note, your employer has the right to refuse your application to postpone your maternity leave. There are details about postponing maternity leave in 'Further information' below. Postponing maternity leave Section 7 of the Maternity Protection (Amendment) Act 2004 provides for postponement of maternity leave which applies whether you are on maternity leave, or on additional unpaid maternity leave. The maximum amount of time the leave can be postponed is six months. Note, your employer has the right to refuse your application to postpone your maternity leave. You may only request that your maternity leave be postponed once you have taken at least 14 weeks' maternity leave, 4 of which must have been taken after the birth. (This provision does not apply to fathers who are on maternity leave). If you postpone your maternity leave and return to work, then you may take your leave in one block, not later than 7 days after the child has been discharged from hospital. Your employer may request a letter from the hospital confirming the child has been hospitalised and following discharge, a letter confirming the date of discharge. If you postpone your maternity leave and return to employment, you need to notify the Department of Social Protection of this. You must notify them in writing that your child has been hospitalised and you have returned to employment. A letter from your family doctor (GP)/hospital is required to confirm to the Department that the child has been discharged from hospital and your maternity benefit should resume. Your Personal Public Service Number (PPS) Number should be clearly identified on all documents you send to the Department. Remember, you may only apply to postpone your maternity leave if the baby has been hospitalised - not if the child is simply unwell.