Baby small for dates

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

littledolly Posts: 393
Hi all I'm nearly 37 weeks now, and in the last few visits to the midwife, they are telling me that my baby is measuring small for my dates. I am certain about my dates, and these were confirmed at the anomily scan at 20 weeks. They want me to see the consultant next week. I'm not really that worried about it, as all else seems fine, but just wondered if anyone had experienced this and knew what might happen - would they induce me early, or just let me know and monitor things? Any advice is appreciated.
Princess consuela Posts: 1480
I don't know really as i have never been pregnant but didn't want to read and not respond, im sure if they thought it was serious they would have said something, maybe the baby will have a bit of a growth spurt in the last couple of weeks. Im sure its nothing to worry about and i just want to wish you all the best
theoracle Posts: 7664
What measuring methods did she use? If she is basing this just on the measurement from pubic bone to top of uterus, this is a very approximate measure and does not necessarily mean that anything is wrong, but it is always better to err on the side of caution, that is why she is sending you to the consultant. The best method to find out is the scan really, so if you are worried, ask for one. Some pregnant women have big bellies in pregnancy, some not, but very often this is not directly related to baby size. Friend at work was told to await a giant baby according to measurements, but he was quite small! Another friend had very neat bump (hardly any), but the baby was really big! Have it checked out and take it from there, no reason to worry yourself in advance.
Hepburn Posts: 4081
A little 4lb 15 oz baby was on the ward at the same time as us. Her mother said she had been small for dates all along but otherwise healthy. The baby was absolutely fine and surprisingly sturdy looking. I was expecting to see a teeny tiny little thing. They told the mother to strictly feed her every 3 hours, that is not to wait till she woke for feeds, so that her weight would increase as quickly as possible but other than that all was fine. If they have no other concerns I wouldn't worry too much.
twinssep Posts: 1242
hi hun if this was confirmed by scan there can be up to 10% discrepincy as this happened to me on my first dd i was told that she was going to only be about 5lb but in the end she was 6lb 8 so try not to worry hun
littledolly Posts: 393
Thanks for all your posts girls. I'm not worried, as they don't seem to be, but just wondered what might happen differently, if anything. They have measured and scanned me, and just want me to be seen by the consultant next week to be sure. I've been very neat all along, and neither DH nor I were big babies, so it's no big surprise. Thanks again!
pfinn Posts: 44
Hi Little Dolly i'm sure its nothing to worry about. I had a 3D scan done at 35 weeks and i was told that the baby was 5 and half pounds at that stage which was roughly correct and that she would grow a half a pound every week from then on. So i then went for a normal scan at 38 weeks and i was told that she was only measuring under 6 pounds and that she seemed a bit small. I was a bit worried cos i remembered what the doctor had told me at the 3D scan and i realised she hadn't even grown a half pound in the three weeks - but the doctor wasn't overly worried about but they did decide to to induce me the following week and i ended up having a healthy 6 pound 9 oz little girl and there wasn't a bother on her. I was very neat throughout my whole pregnancy also. Hope that reassures you in some way.
sunshiniest Posts: 303
This happened twice with my sister. They induced her early both times. I think on one of them the placenta was pretty exhausted. Two gorgeous healthy girls resulted (plus no rips probably because they were that bit smaller!!).
grumpy Posts: 1280
Yeah, my ds was small too. He was 6lb 3oz born, he was like a little teddy bear!! My waters broke 6 days before due date, but I didn't go into labour, so I was induced and he was born 3 days early. He was perfectly healthy, and even though babies are only supposed to double their birth weight by 6 months, he's over 3 times his at 20lbs now! Best of luck with everything.