Bedding and bits for the nursery

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

HMB Posts: 459
Just wondering if anyone else has bought their bedding and accessories for their nursery yet? I'm wondering how much did you pay - I'm looking at buying a set - to include bumper and all those nice bits you don't really need but that look lovely - you know the matching stuff, mobile, rug etc...I've done a little bit of looking about and was sort of surprised at the expense of it all - is it a waste of money for stuff that's likely to get puked and pooped on? I guess maybe it's the same as any home furnishings - you can pay as much or as little as you want? I guess I'm just trying to get a lead on what others have spent? I'm not talking about the actual furniture or mattress as I'm kind of pricing all that separately as those are essentials rather than luxuries.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I've just bought blankets and sheets - on the bumpers we were told that they shouldn't be used for babies as they can be hazardous for them - same was told at a Mothercare evening we went to recently which is ironic seen as they sell them! Just something to bear in mind before you start handing over your money!
HMB Posts: 459
I had heard that ohsotired - did they explain why? I presume they're designed to cushion the baby's head - I'm not sure I understand what's hazardous about them (obviously I get you need to keep strings away from baby and make sure it's properly secure) - I mean they sell them everywhere!
Mari yay Posts: 4045
I think the suffocation risk is the danger with bumpers HMB don't think my sister had one for my niece. I'm sure like most things the opinion might change again, most things seem to do a 360 when it comes to babies!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I'm getting the bare minimum for the moment. I've gotten sheets and a few cellular blankets, but don't plan on much more than keeping baby comfy for the first while. Like the OP, I've found a lot of the stuff really expensive so I'm going to hold out until baby is settled and I 'know' him or her a little better in terms of routine etc before getting the extras. I was warned by SIL not to go mad getting stuff, she bought everything before baby came and loads of it just didn't suit her child, so its been in the attic since! I've found most things cheaper on Amazon, so it'll be easy enough to order what I like when baby's here rather than traipsing around the shops.
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
suffocation is a risk for bumpers but the main reason they are not advised is because it's thought they may contribute to cot death. something to do with the flow of air through the cot. in any case, once baby can stand you'd have to get rid of them in case they try to climb on them so although they look nice, i'd defo avoid them.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
As others have said for small babies the risk can be suffocation and for bigger babies it can be the ties on them etc! It's the same with duvets coming in bedding bales - you're not supposed to use them either but at least you can use it for tummy time on the floor whereas a bumper is a bit redundant if you're not using it for what it is designed for!
pixie bride Posts: 263
I have bought a good bit of stuff for babies room. I have heard you're not supposed to use bumpers but have got them purely for decorative purposes. I just want everything matching and to look well. The stuff is expensive but looks great.