Benecol not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lollyfp Posts: 2441
Hi girls, DH was making me some dinner tonight and he went to put some Benecol (low fat spread) on my potato for me but he noticed that is says on the bottom of the tub that "Benecol foods may not be nutritionally appropriate for pregnant an breast feeding women, and children under 5 years." Now I have always used it and have never noticed this - does anyone know anything about this and why it is not nutritionally appropriate?? Now I would only LOVE to have to use full fat butter instead >:o) but I was keeping an eye on my calories and have always used Benecol??? :wv
Ivy F Posts: 2023
I saw that too, Lolly. I believe that it's because Benecol contains plant sterols to lower cholesterol. I doubt very much that you have any reason for concern, but perhaps check with your doc if you would like to continue using it. Below is a link to a Q&A on Benecol by Raisio, the Finnish company which developed it. [url:31113jso]http://www.raisiogroup.com/www/page/389[/url:31113jso]
mamadotie Posts: 884
While I was pregnant, I remember reading somewhere that pregnancy is one of the only times in your life that you don't need to worry about your cholesterol levels because baby needs it for growth. So I'd guess (please note this is definitely not a medical opinion - just my personal assumption) that you don't want to lower your levels if cholesterol is being used by baby.
lollyfp Posts: 2441
Thank girls - to be honest I don't take it for cholesterol reasons as my level is fine. I just use it because it is low fat and tastes better to me than other low fat spreads! Oh well, now I have an excuse to indulge in REAL butter for a few weeks!!! :o0 :o0 :o0