black tie wedding

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

xcited bride Posts: 359
i've been invited to a black tie wedding and i was planning on wearing a knee lenght dress i got in Karen Millen, its a gold satin dress with floral detail stitched through front and back however another guest told me you can only wear long dresses to black tie.. it would mean i would have to go buy a dress with money i dont have but i'd do it if thats the done thing.. dont wanna waste money on dress but defo dont want to be only person in knee dress.. any advice please
LeonardandPenny Posts: 2684
I was at a blacktie wedding last year and wore a dress below my knee as did majority of girls, some did have full length dresses but you don't have to wear full length dresses.
dollybird222 Posts: 184
Dont stress you dont need to wear a full lenght dress my sis had a black tie wedding only my mum and MOG wore long dresses wear the dress you have and im sure you will be only fab :wv
YoungsWIfe Posts: 738
Hi :wv I had a black tie wedding in December and I had women constantly asking me did they have to wear a long dress or a black one. I just told them to wear what they would wear to any wedding. I thought it was really only the men who get all decked out in their tux :o0 The day of the wedding there was a mixture of long dresses & knee lenght ones . TBH I dont think you have to go long. I have been to black tie weddings before and I just wore what I would to any other wedding.
xcited bride Posts: 359
thanks for replies girls, one less thing to worry about now, thanks :wv
Twirler Posts: 1644
Your dress sounds completely suitable. I was at a couple of black tie weddings in the last few years and there was a mixture of cocktail dresses and evening gowns. The only thing there was less of compared to a standard wedding was skirt/top combos and trouser suits.