Menu

Black tie weddings

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*bubblez* Posts: 1599
Girls if you got an invite to a blacktie wedding but hubbie had already gotten a new suit would you just let him wear the suit? We got a invite in the door for a blacktie wedd and he's freaking over it, he hates wearing rented suits he's uncomfotable and feels dirty in them all day cos so many people wear them.. I don't want to upset the bride but then again she didn't think twice about coming to my wedding with her fella in jeans and a shirt and her not much better. I just think its a bit much to ask people TBH, the invite also also asked for cash gifts of only over 200, there is an alternative wedding list if you don't want to give that much
rock-n-roll-wife Posts: 6579
excuse me?? cash gifts of over 200? that is the rudest thing i have EVER heard! take your hubby in his new suit and give them an easons voucher for 20 euro... the cheeky beggars!!!
I don't want to give them anything, they gave us cheap horrible glasses for a wedding present, not that I was bothered cos I gave any presents like that to my mam but they turned up to our wedding like knackers then told everyone they were only there to make sure their day would be better then ours and she has told my mam that the only reason she's having blacktie is to upstage our wedding!! I nearly dropped when I got to the end of the invite and read that I couldn't believe it and read it twice to be sure
Barbalou Posts: 1617
Your hubby can wear his suit as long as he stick on a bow tie, or adds a bit of a something, you know go a little libarace on it, silk waistcoat etc. As for the cash gifts, I'd send the 200 euros to charity on their behalf the cheeky buggers!!
rock-n-roll-wife Posts: 6579
why are you going to their wedding? surely not going at all would wipe the smirk off her face...she can hardly think shes upstaging you if you're not there to see it. what kind of BINT is she anyway?
april09babs Posts: 926
Cheeky git. How can someone ask esp on invites for cash gifts, esp stating an amount. I would have loved a black tie wedding and the reason I decided not to was I felt it put too much pressure on people financially. It can be very expensive on people to attend wedding as guests as it is and I'd never dream of making it worse on people. I know well what its like to be under pressure for money and would not enjoy my day if I knew even one person was put under financial pressure to enjoy my day
DKPHOTO
scotswedding Posts: 2829
Ohmygod.... Why are you friends with these people???? I'd be disgusted at anyone having a cheek to turn up to someone's wedding jeans and then have a black tie at their own. Honestly if it was me I don't think I'd go. And I love weddings! Edited to say bloody cheek re: the 200! defo give it to charity if you do go!
she's a relation so haven't exactly chosen her as a friend... like the idea of a charity... She's a major bint, pi$$ed off cos I got married before her and she's been going out of her way ever since to let everyone she knows how she going to upstage me. TBH coming up to my wedding I was worried but she made a show of herself on the day and I've realised that me and hubby will stay together a lot longer then her and her filth, cos we want to be together we didn't get married to annoy someone else!! I wasn't going to go but then everyone's been saying that it'll look bad if I don't like I'm afraid her day will be better then mine or something.. I swear I think I'll put on a school uniform and pigtails in my hair cos its like being back in a schoolyard! O:| O:| O:|
Delish Posts: 4176
How crazy is that. I'ld make an excuse and not go, you'll spend the price of a holiday and that wedding. Just don't go the girl has no decorum to write cash gifts and specify amount. That's just really vulgar.
jen2 Posts: 3106
I cant believe she asked for that much in cash as a present. How rude it that. I love the charity idea. I had a black tie wedding, ad woud of been a little peed off if someone turned up in a suit. But in saying that, I would not be rude, and turn up at a wedding, in jeans ( or casual clothes). I always make an big effort, so I expected it in return. Since they have not mad much of an effort, I think do what you feel is best Jen2