Breastfeeding

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

goingmad Posts: 657
Hey girles, Was wondering if any of you have decided if you are going to breastfeed yet or not? I'm thinking about doing for the first 6 weeks or so but haven't really decided yet. I'd like to do it but have a question, can you express straight away??? Don't want to be letting DH away with all those night feeds!!! :o0
luckyduck Posts: 173
hi GM- Yeah I am going to try and give it ago I did it for a few weeks with the first son but it didnt work out. Hopefully this time, I will last a while longer. I think it is a great start to give our little ones :lvs
Hi luckyduck, completely agree with you. Did you find it tiring the first time?
jill80 Posts: 565
I hadnt really decided but probably will try. I was really annoyed when the doctor on my first visit just to confirm the pregnancy asked me and then proceeded to lecture me on the correctness of it all. Typical male then said its best of done for 12-15 MONTHS. Like, hello, eh most of us have to work. He's a foreign doctor and implied Irish women are selfish not breastfeeding this long! :o0 I only got annoyed when I thought about it later that evening!!! I know the benefits but still ... ....I have switched to the female doctor since!!! My sister tried for three days and it just didnt work for her, she was stressed trying, the baby was starving hungry and eventually her friend, a midwife told her to bottle-feed. I am going to try and if it doesnt work, will bottle. Would hope to combine the two ideally.
12-15 Months!! Is he MAD! :eek :eek I was thinking of maybe doing it for 6 weeks or so nothing long term. It's supposed to be great for getting your shape back aswell & I guess by that time we'll be so sick of being round that we will try anything!!!
To be honest I think he was a bit loopy and my head was all over place as he told me at same visit I might have a UTI, wasnt til after I realised he clearly loo-la. Yeah, I'd aim to do it for about six weeks. Due to be a BM 12 weeks after baby due (dreading trying get in shape for that) so dont want be leaking coming up to that. Without been gross how long does it take boobs to dry up after breastfeeding stops?
[quote="jill80":2b4as6f9]To be honest I think he was a bit loopy and my head was all over place as he told me at same visit I might have a UTI, wasnt til after I realised he clearly loo-la. Yeah, I'd aim to do it for about six weeks. Due to be a BM 12 weeks after baby due (dreading trying get in shape for that) so dont want be leaking coming up to that. Without been gross how long does it take boobs to dry up after breastfeeding stops?[/quote:2b4as6f9] It should only take a couple of days - you need to stop drinking tea etc to speed it up. You'll be fine by the time of the wedding, 5/6 weeks of that & the weight will fall off you. (Well that's what I'm hoping anyway :o0 )
[quote="goingmad":2pngumni][quote="jill80":2pngumni]To be honest I think he was a bit loopy and my head was all over place as he told me at same visit I might have a UTI, wasnt til after I realised he clearly loo-la. Yeah, I'd aim to do it for about six weeks. Due to be a BM 12 weeks after baby due (dreading trying get in shape for that) so dont want be leaking coming up to that. Without been gross how long does it take boobs to dry up after breastfeeding stops?[/quote:2pngumni] It should only take a couple of days - you need to stop drinking tea etc to speed it up. You'll be fine by the time of the wedding, 5/6 weeks of that & the weight will fall off you. (Well that's what I'm hoping anyway :o0 )[/quote:2pngumni] You and me both!!!! I'll be like a beached whale, but TBH last thing on my mind, keeping my little bump safe my main aim! *)
Yeah exactly, trying to be as healthy as I can but so far not going to plan, I have been eating crap but I haven't be eating what i should be either :-8
doolittle Posts: 910
Hi goingmad! I put up a post last week cause my head was so addled over the breast vs bottle...Be warned people get very hot under the collar on this subject! I ve been readin up on combined feeding which is an interesting option cause its the best of both worlds IMO(in case anyone gives out!) You BF exclussively for 2 weeks then you can introduce a bottle, either formula or EBM on the evening feed around 9pm. I like the idea of this cause at least DH can do a feed in the evening and gets used to formula gradually!