Can/Is your internet usage at work monitered??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

murph2b2 Posts: 24
Just wondering there if there are any tekkies out there that know can companies monitor the internet usage of their employees at work and if so is it done??? There must be some filter for the "bluer" websites there I presume.
lolabelle Posts: 3311
You can be sure that there is monitoring of your internet usage. Some firms get weekly or montly lists of sites visited by users. Most companies have sites blocked to stop employees wasting time on them - Like WOL :o0 :o0 :o0
bigjt11 Posts: 170
I know one place that actually looked at them and pulled people up on their time spent on the internet and what they were on, so they do it. i keep reminding myself of that when i have this bloody forum on in the background....but i can't shut it down.... O:|
JustBecause Posts: 3242
I was wondering about this too. I know that a number of sites including gambling ones are blocked in work. A girl in another department was given a written warning because she had facebook up on her computer all day everyday.
happieout Posts: 3111
i'm very paranoid about those kind of things. I feel like everything i text, every bank transaction and every website i look up can be accessed by someone. Which is true! I 'm sure all websites can be monitored. A huge amount is blocked in our workplce.
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
All interent usage in the Public Service is monitored. But I would imagine that the extent of this would vary in different areas. I rarely log on at work and I would be very conscious of what I post.
maltabride2011 Posts: 987
Our internet usage is definitely monitored in work, so I only log on during break times. Not sure how they do it, certain sites were blocked there for a while like youtube but they all seem to be working again now!
moanna Posts: 1081
i know our palce can and i hope they are not or im in big trouble!!! everyday i say i wont go onto WOL today but then I cant help but take a sneak peek next thing I am in the thick of it!!!
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
We don't have internet access at work but we do have email - and it's monitered very closely. If an employer wants to get rid of you/stop a pay rise - an easy way for them to pull you up on your internet usage. There's a record of everything. Sure remember the Rachel O'Reilly murder case. Wasn't a lot of the evidence against her husband based on emails he'd sent and received at work??
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
[quote="mafiros81":r57rkwle] Sure remember the Rachel O'Reilly murder case. Wasn't a lot of the evidence against her husband based on emails he'd sent and received at work??[/quote:r57rkwle] :o0 Well that is probably a different level of monitoring. I doubt most work places are calling in the forensics! But I suppose lesson learnt - don't murder anyone Wollies, if you want your internet usage to stay under the radar. But yeah, everything can be monitored, examined and recorded.