Menu

Candle ceremony question...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsryan07 Posts: 274
Well, thank god the spam situation is sorted! It was a nuisance and I felt really lost, especially on the run up to the big day :eek Anyhow, have decided to include a candle ceremony (we're having civil ceremony btw) for the mothers, and have one big and 2 smaller, skinny candles. I was going to place a little lighted tealight behind big candle to light the smaller candles on. Do you think it's ok for the mothers tto take the candles into their hand and light them on the tealight? I cannot find any taper candles and I don't want the ladies to be fumbling with a lighter either. What do you think girls? This candle business is O:|
MrsK2012 Posts: 905
We're having a civil ceremony also & our wedding co-ordinator said she will supply the taper candles. We just need to bring 1 large & 2 skinny candles (we're also having our mothers light the 2 skinny candles & then we will light the wedding candle together). I hadn't thought about how they will light their candles though but i'm guessing there will be a couple of tealights on the table......must check that :eek
Thanks a lot MrsK, will ask the venue to see if they have taper candles! Never thought about that and I'm running around like a fool trying to find them! :o0
MrsFlushdraw Posts: 365
[quote="MrsK2012":gs6xy4u7]We're having a civil ceremony also & our wedding co-ordinator said she will supply the taper candles. We just need to bring 1 large & 2 skinny candles (we're also having our mothers light the 2 skinny candles & then we will light the wedding candle together). I hadn't thought about how they will light their candles though but i'm guessing there will be a couple of tealights on the table......must check that :eek[/quote:gs6xy4u7] Just a question on this as I am having a civil ceremony a couple of days before my blessing/reception. Do tey do the candle thing at these? I just thought we turned up at the registry office and that was that. Wasn't taking flowers or anything and just wearing a nice dress for the day.
[quote="MrsFlushdraw2b":4h4pemxv][quote="MrsK2012":4h4pemxv]We're having a civil ceremony also & our wedding co-ordinator said she will supply the taper candles. We just need to bring 1 large & 2 skinny candles (we're also having our mothers light the 2 skinny candles & then we will light the wedding candle together). I hadn't thought about how they will light their candles though but i'm guessing there will be a couple of tealights on the table......must check that :eek[/quote:4h4pemxv] Just a question on this as I am having a civil ceremony a couple of days before my blessing/reception. Do tey do the candle thing at these? I just thought we turned up at the registry office and that was that. Wasn't taking flowers or anything and just wearing a nice dress for the day.[/quote:4h4pemxv] Do you mean you are doing the legal part in the registry office & then a blessing in the hotel before your reception? I'm not sure what is involved in the blessing but for the registry office I'm sure it's just a matter of the registrar asking you to make a verbal declaration in front of 2 witnesses of your intention to marry & then sign the paperwork so no need for candles there but you might like to include it for your blessing......HTH :wv
[quote="MrsK2012":2unr6re7][quote="MrsFlushdraw2b":2unr6re7][quote="MrsK2012":2unr6re7]We're having a civil ceremony also & our wedding co-ordinator said she will supply the taper candles. We just need to bring 1 large & 2 skinny candles (we're also having our mothers light the 2 skinny candles & then we will light the wedding candle together). I hadn't thought about how they will light their candles though but i'm guessing there will be a couple of tealights on the table......must check that :eek[/quote:2unr6re7] Just a question on this as I am having a civil ceremony a couple of days before my blessing/reception. Do tey do the candle thing at these? I just thought we turned up at the registry office and that was that. Wasn't taking flowers or anything and just wearing a nice dress for the day.[/quote:2unr6re7] Do you mean you are doing the legal part in the registry office & then a blessing in the hotel before your reception? I'm not sure what is involved in the blessing but for the registry office I'm sure it's just a matter of the registrar asking you to make a verbal declaration in front of 2 witnesses of your intention to marry & then sign the paperwork so no need for candles there but you might like to include it for your blessing......HTH :wv[/quote:2unr6re7] That is what I meant :) I don't view the legal one as the wedding lol. The blessing is the one I get to wear my dress to and have my family at. We are asking the person doing the blessing if we have to do the candle thing or not. I know it is not an ordinary ceremony (damn me being a divorcee!)
MrsFlushdraw, I'm in the same boat as you but I would have gone for a civil ceremony either way. Anyway, we decided to have the ceremony in the hotel, so I can have the dress and all :) Candle ceremony is really for the mothers, so they get involved too.
[quote="MrsFlushdraw2b":3rdr3b7c]Just a question on this as I am having a civil ceremony a couple of days before my blessing/reception. Do tey do the candle thing at these? I just thought we turned up at the registry office and that was that. Wasn't taking flowers or anything and just wearing a nice dress for the day.[/quote:3rdr3b7c] Do you mean you are doing the legal part in the registry office & then a blessing in the hotel before your reception? I'm not sure what is involved in the blessing but for the registry office I'm sure it's just a matter of the registrar asking you to make a verbal declaration in front of 2 witnesses of your intention to marry & then sign the paperwork so no need for candles there but you might like to include it for your blessing......HTH :wv[/quote] That is what I meant :) I don't view the legal one as the wedding lol. The blessing is the one I get to wear my dress to and have my family at. We are asking the person doing the blessing if we have to do the candle thing or not. I know it is not an ordinary ceremony (damn me being a divorcee!)[/quote] Well if you want to include it I don't think he/she would have a problem with it :compress The Civil Ceremony is very short so we're trying to make it a little longer by having the candle lighting ceremony, 7 pieces of music/singing, 2 poems & 1 reflection at the end ;o)
[quote="MrsK2012":23ntaf6v][quote="MrsFlushdraw2b":23ntaf6v]Just a question on this as I am having a civil ceremony a couple of days before my blessing/reception. Do tey do the candle thing at these? I just thought we turned up at the registry office and that was that. Wasn't taking flowers or anything and just wearing a nice dress for the day.[/quote:23ntaf6v] Do you mean you are doing the legal part in the registry office & then a blessing in the hotel before your reception? I'm not sure what is involved in the blessing but for the registry office I'm sure it's just a matter of the registrar asking you to make a verbal declaration in front of 2 witnesses of your intention to marry & then sign the paperwork so no need for candles there but you might like to include it for your blessing......HTH :wv[/quote:23ntaf6v] That is what I meant :) I don't view the legal one as the wedding lol. The blessing is the one I get to wear my dress to and have my family at. We are asking the person doing the blessing if we have to do the candle thing or not. I know it is not an ordinary ceremony (damn me being a divorcee!)[/quote] Well if you want to include it I don't think he/she would have a problem with it :compress The Civil Ceremony is very short so we're trying to make it a little longer by having the candle lighting ceremony, 7 pieces of music/singing, 2 poems & 1 reflection at the end ;o)[/quote] Yeah I can understand that. It is only 15 mins or so otherwise, so add some things to make it more personal etc. The other half is popping off an email to ask more questions about the blessing. He said it would be like a wedding ceremony without the sacraments. So we shall see what he says.
blue16 Posts: 201
Hi mrs2bjuly, Can I ask you what the candle ceremony with the mothers involves? Are you also lighting a candle with the groom and is this separate and done at the same time. Does the mothers lighting it show unity of the 2 families? Thinking it may be a nice idea for my civil ceremony and get the mothers involved!