Cheltenham - Anyone got any tips?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ShutterBug Posts: 1056
Anyone interested in the racing this week? any tips you want to share? Ive been looking at the papers online this morning and a lot of them are talking about Hurricane Fly in the 3:20 and they backed him on Today fm this morning too. More so the Irish papers than the English ones tho might put a few euro on him. I love a few bets for the festivals. Hopefully will make the day more interesting!
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
I'm not a gambling person all, even though my uncle is a very well known horse trainer and I barely even do the Lotto. The rare time I do a bet, the most I'd put on would be a fiver but I play safe, and always put them as "each way" or whatever the term is (see, haven't a clue!) When I do pick horses, even if I'm not betting, I don't go for who the trainer is, the state of the ground, previous wins - I've a much better method. FIL is a gambler, but only tiny bets, and he hates when I use my method - and win!!!! :o0 :o0 I go for a name that is significate to me in some way and the other one I used, if they were wearing a nice colour! :o0 :o0 I had a look at all the names in the paper this morning, and I've picked 5 horses, so lets see if any of them win. I'm stoney broke, so this will have to be an imaginary bet - a lot cheaper! :o0 A few years ago I rang my sister to say that there was a horse that had the same name as her (recently deceased) FILs name, and jokingly said would she like me to do a bet for her. She's even less of a gambler than me, so for a laugh she told me to do €10 to win...........whaddya know, he came in first and she came away with €50!!! :ooh :o0 Best of luck to any of you that do some betting, let us know how you get on.
Hi Wibbly Wobbly Wonder, Im no pro either and often go with names I like, I rarely back a favourite or even check what the ground is like. I have a few silly rules like I dont back grey horses and mainly only back Irish horses. I only put on a few bets for the big festivals like Cheltenham, Grand Nationals and Galway. So best of luck with your picks! Id love to win a few quid this week
AliceCullen Posts: 1408
I also love a little bet at Cheltenham, haven't a clue about horses but might be lucky this week. Good luck to all having a little bet :wv
I Do I Do Posts: 272
I love having a little flutter on Cheltenham, OH loves his racing, he's friends with lotsa jockeys/trainers, and he's heading over to Cheltenham tomorrow, so if I get any sure things from him, I'll let ye know. I've one tip for Friday which is Unaccompanied, now don't go putting the house on it, and don't kill me if it turns out to be a complete donkey! I would say, keep an eye on the horses that Ruby Walsh is on (he's on Hurricane Fly), although he's only back from injury, he has the best overall record as a jockey at Cheltenham, so he's always worth a couple of bob. Oh and one tip my brother ALWAYS gives me, is that if Nina Carberry is in the 2nd last or last race, she'll always come somewhere... Again please don't kill me if none of the above happen, I have yet to make a fortune from my gambling!
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
I got this from a guy in work whose big into his horse racing. Dont come after me though if you loose any money please!! :wv Tuesday 130 Cue Card (God help us!) to win & Recession Proof each way 205 Rock Noir each way 320 Dunguib each way 440 Magen’s Star each way Wednesday 205 Oscars Well to win 240 Aiteen Thirtythree each way 320 Big Zeb to win 515 Star Neuville each way Thursday 205 Sivota to win 240 Poquelin to win 320 Big Bucks to win 440 Saddlers Storm each way Friday 130 Zarkandar to win 240 Gagewell Flyer each way 320 Imperial Commander to win 440 Sir des Champs to win
Oh Charlei Im sure your OH will get a few tips during the week, would love to hear them. I know a tip is never a sure thing. We wont come looking for you I promise :wv I read Ruby has a great record over there. Nina never wins when I back her, I think I must curse her and my family hate hearing that Ive put money on her when they have too. So for the good of everyone else I dont back her anymore. Im not supersitious at all but when it comes to racing I have a few funny quirks and rules! Not long till the off now. :o)ll Oooohh thanks Urban Fairy. Ive backed Cue Card already so fingers crossed!
I Do I Do Posts: 272
1:30 Result 1. Al Ferof (Ruby 10/1) 2. Spirit Son 3. Sprinter Sacre 4. Cue Card
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
I should have stuck with good auld Ruby!
Damn I thought Cue Card was coming good in the end. :o( the first of many for Ruby this week Id say!