Can I just say first and foremost that I don't want this to become another thread bashing unemployed people, after all, I'm unemployed so if anyone starts on the "you're only unemployed 'cos you're too lazy to find a job" sh!te I will be asking admin to delete the thread. Anyway, now that we have that out of the way... I just received, through the letter box, a flyer advertising the courses being run in a local community centre. I'm sure you're all familiar with the type of thing I'm talking about, they're everywhere at this time of year. I decided to have a scan through it to see what's on offer (not looking for anything for myself as I was offered a college place on Friday!!! :o)ll ) There's all the usual pilates, make-up course, irish dancing, drama, hairdressing, cookery, painting, set dancing etc and then I see it: Indoor Bowling for the Unemployed and Soccer for the Unemployed... Really? Really???? People who can't get jobs need courses to learn new skills, and I'm pretty sure that indoor soccer and bowling are not going to help their career prospects any. I can only imagine how much this costs to run. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for courses for people who can't find work and want to retrain, sure that's what I'm doing myself, it gets you out of the house, you learn new skills and improve your career prospects and to top it all off you start to feel like a real person again but surely there is another way of going about this? What about IT for the unemployed, start your own business for the unemployed, horticulture for the unemployed? It's so hard to find a course, part or full time, that will be covered under the BEI (back to education initiative) so the money being wasted on this sh!te ('cos it is utter sh!te) could be used to fund actual re-education giving people the chance to get off the dole. I don't quite know where I'm going with this, I'm just so annoyed that I had to share. The people who want to re-train can't find courses (without a lot of trouble and effort) and the bodies that are entrusted with the re-training seem to want us all to play bowling/soccer! O:|