Connection btwn your cycles and accuracy of due date?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MissSindyhead Posts: 560
Hi girls, Was just wondering, out of curiosity, and this may be a question for those of you who are not on their first baby....is there any connection between having regular periods before you conceived and your baby arriving on schedule? I have no basis for asking this question really but just wondered if there could be a connection. Say if your cycles were always 28 days long, is it more likely that your baby will arrive when expected than if say, your cycles were a little unpredictable? Someone I know recently had her first baby on the date she herself expected it. I know first babies are often late so I thought this was interesting. Any thoughts? J
tilsun Posts: 4506
I always had 28 day cycles, generally ovulated on day 14 (I was temping) so pretty much knew to the minute when I conceived DD :-8 . From the first scan at 10 weeks she measured a week ahead of my dates, this went up to two weeks ahead by later in pregnancy. I was baffled but the docs said she may just be big and stick to my own dates. She arrived two and a bit weeks early so it almost seems like her size/growth predicted her arrival better than the 40 weeks thing. My interest in this is renewed as my scan on this LO shows him/her being weeks behind what he/she should be based on my cycle. But I wasn't temping so not really sure when I conceived. Am going to go on scan dates as they were more right last time.
Daff Posts: 11644
This got me thinking. DD1 was born exactly 38 weeks to the day after I ovulated. So I got my book out from dd2 where I recorded my ovulation - and yep, 38 weeks to the day too!
MissSindyhead Posts: 560
Wow, you're like clockwork so LMB! That is amazing. Just posted over on M&K too to reach a wider audience.
kala Posts: 1937
my cycles are clock work and bang on 28 days- i ovulate late in my cycles- roughly day 17-18 and ds1 was a week early, ds2 3 weeks early. am so hoping this babba doesn't throw a spanner in the works and be late.