Could I be in labour??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
Hi girls Happy New Year to you all. I feel like Im being stupid in a way having to post this but I would really value your advice. I know you will tell me to go to the hospital and I may do so but I want to know if any of you have exprienced this. Baby is due in about 4 weeks and the last scan confirmed that head is down. I feel myself that head is engaged at this point but I need to get that medically confirmed. The reason I feel it is is because heart burn had improved and bump lowered. My parents saw me over Xmas and went home for 4 days and dropped in again and my mam couldnt believe how big the bump had got in 4 days! that shocked me. That night I realised that even with rubbing in cream i had come up with stretch marks over night underneath the bump. This all suggested to me that babs had drowth spirt and possibly head engaged. But...and here is where I am lost. Over the past two days I am in a lot of pain. baby seems to be jumping about a lot more than usual. I have back pain and pain in my fionnuala at times but the worst is up at my ribs - it literallly takes my breath away. boobs are very sore also. Could this be labour?? Last night I was awake all night long - no sleep at all. Discharge has increased somewhat and is whitish/yellow in colour. I keep thinking that my waters are going to go as I feel lots of pressure down below and then an opening feeling and then nothing. Ive put on a sanitary pad just in case. I had a scare a few weeks ago and we thought babs was coming early but didn't. I dont want to go to hospital unless Im sure this is something strange that noone else is experiencing or possibly the beginnings of labour. I cannot face four more weeks of this discomfort and pain - I will be a wreck by the end. The two things that are confsing me: 1. Noone mentioned in the classes that we would experience pain like this for the last couple of weeks. They mentioned braxton hicks but it didnt sound like this 2. If this is braxton, Im not feeling my whole abdomen contracting and releaseing. Its like for 15 mins it might be all hard - then only part of it...the pain does come and go and at times is severe e.g. trying to get out of bed a few mins ago started me crying. Its like all the uscles in my belly is going to spasm - ya know like a cramp youd get in your leg at night Any advice apprecited!
MrsTiredbride Posts: 3397
If you're worried, go to your doctor and let them have a look at you just to be on the safe side.
Yoda Posts: 3340
All sounds normal to me, I had a very very hard bump all day a couple of days ago, I could not sit for any period of time and found walking was the best thing I know you don't want to go into the hospital in case it is just a false alarm but ring and speak to a midwife/consultant even Better to be safe then sorry The baby does not have as much room to move so the movement are hurting a bit more, the pressure is on the lower body is something else I give you that My discharge has increased as well but I was at the consultant today and the head is nearly but not totally down all the way Hope you ok, try walking and don't be worried if you need to go in to get peace of mind do
*Muffin* Posts: 7243
From my experience and also from reading of others experiences too, I don't think you are Liv. We're about the same, I think I'm a week behind you, and it could be the case that the baby's head has engaged, but you know that it can take a few weeks after that before you go into labour. All these new aches and pains, could be as a result of the baby moving position. Basically, unless you have regular contractions, or your water breaks it doesn't sound to me that you are in active labour. When it happens - you'll know for sure. I'm finding it sooo uncomfortable at the moment, I can't make it up the stairs without having to sit down half way up, and I'm getting all sorts of new pains too, including Braxton Hicks.
Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
thanks so much for your replies girls. I will go to doc or ring hospital. Its terrible being this clueless on your first! God almighty this has thought me that labour will not be easy if the pain is this bad already!
Yoda Posts: 3340
Don't be worrying LivDec you will be fine, sure we are all in the same boat I was having little panic attacks myself the other day Can you try a nice warm shower maybe to help with the pain
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Liv I hope you are ok? I'm getting really sore shooting pains up my backside and vagina that I actually timed them last night. I was thinking if labour was worse than those pains then I'd be taking every pain killer going! I fell asleep on the sofa yesterday and woke to go to the loo but I couldn't get up with the pain. DH couldn't even help me up because the pain in my bump was killing me! When I did get up I had to hunch and go up the stairs on my hands and knees! Was at the gp today and he told me the head was down but not engaged at all :o(
sinion Posts: 6050
I have to say, it does sound normal to me but I'd still suggest you go to your doctor just to be on the safe side. I had false labour contractions and pains from about 37 weeks, they were so bad that I could barely move or breathe with the pain and everyone around me was convinced that I'd go early, but went 11 days over! These pains came and went all the time, weren't regular and would also last for about 20 minutes to an hour or too and would then disappear for a while. It had me worrying that I wouldn't know when I was actually in labour, but when the first real contraction started I knew immediately as it felt very different. Also had the very intense pressure pain where it felt like babs was literally about to drop out of me. Good luck!
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
If it's very bad ring your consultant / midwife. They may ask you to come in and check you out, but can confirm whether things are starting or not. I had some pains over Christmas, and then something that could have been waters breaking (though not much fluid) so midwife told me to come in. Thankfully nothing had started, they checked neck of womb and everything was fine.
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Hi LivDec, I havent been on in a while so didnt speak to you in ages! I'm due in three weeks now and each day is getting more and more uncomfortable, and I still have a week of work to go! I was in the labour ward on New years Eve as I had a can of coke and babs didnt move so I said feck that and went straight in. turns out he was asleep. was traced for 2 hours, had a glass of iced water and turns out he's grand. Today in the car I had pains in my back which I suppose you'd call "twinges", but they went as quick as they came. I mean, what are twinges anyway. We are so clueless on our first! You've prob rang the doc by now, so please God you got everything sorted.