cyctitis/ bladder infection

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tilsun Posts: 4506
HI girls, been feeling a bit rubbish for a few days now and then yesterday had bad pains whenever I urinate and a bit of a smell :-8 Went to the out-of-hours doctor and he tested my urine and reckons I may have an infection but it's not too severe. I'm not a big fan of antibiotics so he said I could try to flush it out today with water and then if it's not better in the morning, start the antibiotics. So I've searched on here for advise and saw about cranberry juice and barley water. I will get the juice now but am confused about the barley water. Is it the Miwadi stuff that you add to water or is there an another version I don't know about? Have any of you who've had infections in pregnancy managed with water alone or does it always need an antibiotic?
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
Any type of barley water is fine. In relation to the cranberry juice, make sure it has a high concentrate cranberries, the cheaper stuff is no good 9think your suppose to look for greater that 70% cranberry, but 100% is best). The ocean spray is suppose to be best one. There's is a 100% cranberry juice. Drink plenty of water. Your basic aim is to 'flush out the bladder'. Another websites suggests the following: [i:1unvg66d]'Take Vitamin C (250 to 500 mg), Beta-carotene (25,000 to 50,000 IU per day) and Zinc (30-50 mg per day) to help fight infection.'[/i:1unvg66d] Hope you feel better soon.
Beaubelle Posts: 741
Hi tilsun, I had a UTI early on... I think around the 10 week mark, though it wasn't too bad, so I managed to flush it out with just water. However, if you are in agony, or it worsens, you should go on antibiotics, as it can be really debilitating... I had a really bad one once, before I was pregnant, and I was in so much pain that I could barely walk. I needed antibiotics then! There are lots of safe antibiotics during pregnancy, so try not to worry! About the barley water, as far as I know you can buy the barley in a health food store and boil it up in a saucepan of water. You then strain out the barley when it's soft, and drink the water when it's cooled. That's what my mum told me, but tbh I never tried it myself so can't vouch for it!! I'm not sure if the miwadi stuff would work the same... It might contain too much sugar. Hope you feel better soon.
summer101 Posts: 377
hi tilsun, had cystitus early in pregnancy a fellow wolly recommended a large glass of a water mixed with a spoon of bread soda, have it about 3 times in the day - not pleasant to drink but i didn't need antib's & it seemed to clear it very quickly...
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
I have had 2 UTI's during my pregnancy & needed antibiotics to get rid but I did get rid of one myself about a month ago. I kind of knew it was coming one & it was a Sun morning so I drank about 3 pints of water (even though it nearly killed me, I basically sat on the loo for the day ) :o0 also one other thing I did was eat a raw clove of garlic. Totally gross I know :eek but it worked coz i read somewhere that raw garlic has a natural antibiotic in it or something. Anyway the nxt morn I went to docs & she tested my urine & it was clear! PS: My Mom says that her doctor recommended the Dawn cranberry juice
tilsun Posts: 4506
Thanks girls. I pretty much flooded myself yesterday. It was very painful as I was going to loo every hour but I think I'm over the worst of it. Told work i wouldn't be in today but I'm so much better that I feel a little guilty now. That said, I'm still drinking loads ad wouldn't be able to go to the loo this much in work :-8 My DH thinks raw garlic is the answer to EVERYTHING. I'm surprised he hasn't force fed me some yet! I have the prescription for the antibiotics so will have them if I need them. Be great not to have to though.
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Tilsun dont feel guilty at all. When you have these infections rest is as important as anything else to get rid of the infection. Try to keep drinking a good bit of water today & I hope you're feeling better soon
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
[quote="summerbride101":3apupp94]hi tilsun, had cystitus early in pregnancy a fellow wolly recommended a large glass of a water mixed with a spoon of bread soda, have it about 3 times in the day - not pleasant to drink but i didn't need antib's & it seemed to clear it very quickly...[/quote:3apupp94] Be careful about doing this too often during the pregnancy as bread soda can affect the absorption of calcuim.
mrs eaves Posts: 50
I can be very prone to UTIs and have found that antibiotics are really the only thing that clear them - otherwise they just keep coming back. If you want to try and flush it out yourself then cranberry juice with a high cranberry content is good. There is a herbal tincture called yarrow you can take- it is rotten tasting but seems to work. Uva ursi is also good but I'm not sure if you can take it when pregnant. Also avoid sugar -the bacteria feeds on that. Bread soda really does help, and hot water bottles help too. Taking cranberry tablets helps stop them coming back. Hope this helps! You poor thing, UTI are horrible!