deja vous

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

joer Posts: 1617
dunno but I get freaked when I have them too....
jinny Posts: 112
As far as I know it is due to one side of your brain working faster than the other. Therefore, because one side has already committed the occurrence to memory, the other side, while 'recording' the occurrence, recognises it as having happened previously. I'll check somewhere to see if this is correct! [size=75:1v37wzgp]Edited for a spelling mistake.[/size:1v37wzgp]
blissful2b Posts: 1555
yeah nny think thats right. your perception is running slightly slower to whats actually happening... hence you relive it.
Neural theories In the late 20th and early 21st centuries, it was widely believed that déjà vu could be caused by the mis-timing of neuronal firing. This timing error was thought to lead the brain to believe that it was encountering a stimulus for the second time, when in fact, it was simply re-experiencing the same event from a slightly delayed source. A number of variations of these theories exist, with miscommunication of the two cerebral hemispheres and abnormally fast neuronal firing also given as explanations for the sensation. Dual Processing (or Delayed Vision) Another theory is based on the way our brain processes new information and how it stores long- and short-term memories. Robert Efron tested an idea at the Veterans Hospital in Boston in 1963 that stands as a valid theory today. He proposed that a delayed neurological response causes déjà vu. Because information enters the processing centers of the brain via more than one path, it is possible that occasionally that blending of information might not synchronize correctly. Efron found that the temporal lobe of the brain's left hemisphere is responsible for sorting incoming information. He also found that the temporal lobe receives this incoming information twice with a slight (milliseconds-long) delay between transmissions -- once directly and once again after its detour through the right hemisphere of the brain. If that second transmission is delayed slightly longer, then the brain might put the wrong timestamp on that bit of information and register it as a previous memory because it had already been processed. That could explain the sudden sense of familiarity.
O-O I love when something creepy has a reasonable explanation............ although it does spoil the fun a bit!
.... Posts: 667