Did anyone haggle with hotel in light of recent situation?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

windycity Posts: 2241
what kind of things would you haggle about? H2b wants to call them tomorrow and try haggle a bit. Any experience of it out there??
ozypozy Posts: 2950
I looked up hotel rooms for a different hotel on the internet and emailed our hotel with the details of the prices I found. They wouldn't match them (quote for other hotel was €93 for double room - no breakfast) but got them down to €60pp B&B for the 10 rooms we're allocated and an additional 5 rooms added on at €65pp B&B. Just said in the email that this year was tough for everyone and unless they reconsidered that our guests would be staying elsewhere. Its a small hotel with limited accommodation as well so I'd say they'd feel it! We got a good deal a while back before the doom and gloom started but this was after they increased their prices. In the end they gave us free bar extension, half price evening buffet, wine for €12 a bottle (house wine) and additional 10% overall discount. I think they reduced the cost of choice as well but can't remember and can't find the piece of paper he gave us with all the details on it O:|
PradaBabe Posts: 146
You know what I was think the exact same thing myself. Were getting married in Sept I was going to wait till March when they come looking for another €2k off the bill, maybe I should be a bit proactive on this one. Were having approx 140 guests, so I reckon our hotel bill will be in the region of €15k including the extra for the bar extension.
Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
They put the price of the rooms up in our place but as we booked in '07 I haggled with them and they kept the '07 room rate for us. We also got a menu tasting that they don't normally do.
I reckon lets do it.. so many hotels closing down... so tomorrow what should we haggle on? help me compile: Corkage Bar extension ... what else?
ela28 Posts: 2552
[quote="malteeser":2qr696i1]I reckon lets do it.. so many hotels closing down... so tomorrow what should we haggle on? help me compile: Corkage Bar extension ... what else?[/quote:2qr696i1] evening food!!
Teeny10 Posts: 566
I've tried my look and so far I've gotten the guest room price per night down from €170 to €108 :o)ll . They said we can discuss the minimum numbers with us closer to the wedding (so I'd say we'll just have to pay for the number coming). And am trying to work on getting the latest special offer of the evening buffet free -they're giving it to people that are booking their wedding over the next few weeks.So here's hoping - if you don't ask you wont get anything.
LAST MINUTE Posts: 88
Marti09, I'm the same with my hotel. Not getting an offer because we booked last year. Think its really unfair. Also the planned renovation in the room has been cancelled due to" current econmic circumstances" so the bar will remain outside the room.
[quote="LAST MINUTE":1lwktifk]Marti09, I'm the same with my hotel. Not getting an offer because we booked last year. Think its really unfair. Also the planned renovation in the room has been cancelled due to" current econmic circumstances" so the bar will remain outside the room.[/quote:1lwktifk] thats a disgrace! you should really go back to them saying that you only booked as you knew the renovations were being carried out demand a reduction now that its not the room you booked - they have a cheek
eileenf99 Posts: 396
Marti09 Did you send them a mail first requesting the reductions or did you do it face to face?I am going down to visit my hotel in a couple of weeks and i will be looking for some reductions but i am not sure weather to wait and bring it up down der or send a mail first raising the issues,wat you think?