did anyone worry about how work would take your news?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsExcited2010 Posts: 210
Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any issues with how their workplace took the news that you were pregnant? I definitely worry about this.... my workplace is very competitive and wouldn't be the most family friendly, I worry that it may impact my career? any thoughts? :wv
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
I work in a big place but even so me not being here will obviously affect already dwinddling numbers of staff so im sure people might have mixed feelings on it. the reality of it is that yes it can affect your career. One of my friends has had terrible trouble finding her place again after coming back after maternity leave. its very unjustified but unfortunately these things can happen it some places.
Twirl Posts: 5598
I work in a very small place but the people i work for are not very nice. Anyway i was bricking it telling them, worked myself up and then i just went in and blurted it out. All i got was a huff and he said ok. Its done now though and what a relief. Just bite the bullet if you can and best of luck too.
FoxyLockz Posts: 2448
I would love to tell work...i mean my boss knows and 2 other people and thats about it. Another girl announced she is pregnant and i just wanna get it over and done with now to be honest.
MrsWoggle Posts: 1793
Ya I was nervous about it beause with the way things are I knew they wouldn't take someone on to cover for me & that they might decide then that there was no need for me when they'd manage without me for the 6 months. Also there was a promotion coming up that I wanted to be considered for & felt that being pregnant would prevent me from getting it. As it turned out, I got the promotion anyway, I went out 2 months early with high blood pressure, came back a bit later than I said I would & they're grand. And my priorities have totally changed too. You'll be grand...best of luck!!
FoxyLockz Posts: 2448
How soon did people tell....after the 12 weeks mark?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I'm planning on telling them Monday. I'll be 13.5 weeks then and as we only told our parents last weekend I'm in no rush. Not much they can do about it now! I like my job but the promotion prospects are quite limited and I'm hoping I can work a three day week after ML. I think they'll be only to glad to facilitate this to save a few bob. TBH I think you can have all the laws in the world but a competitive company won't look kindly on ML. My SIL works in a very competitive place and says she's noticed a massive difference after coming off ML. They have "family friendly" policies and all that jazz, but they are meaningless when a boss expects a BF woman to travel for three weeks to the US for a project or work late nights to meet a deadline. It's really, really unfair but women have to have the babies, we can't get men to do it.
Twirl Posts: 5598
I told my boss at 12 weeks i would have left it later only i was going to loose pay for taking time off for my hospital appointment and i just couldnt afford the loss of wages. Thats the only reason they were told at that stage. We had told my parents at 10 weeks and we are still telling everyone else at the moment. Part of me loved having it as a secret too.
Chica1 Posts: 793
I told my boss and HR at 10 wks as a long haul trip was being planned. They were fine about and genuinely pleased for me. By the time I go on ML I will have been there nearly 5yrs. There is no chance of promo due to a flat org structure so I didn't feel a bit bad breaking my news!