Disappointed someone used 'our' baby name

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mumbless Posts: 70
Hi girls...... We had settled on a name for our lil bambino a while ago....obviously we havent told anybody the name....and i completely know that luck of the draw and all that there is a chance someone will call their baby that before you actually have yours....but that happened...now its not too close a friend..its a best friends sister so really the babies wont even be in the same circle....I just cant shake the feeling though it kind of takes a little bit of the excitement away and also i would hate for them to think that we copied..... I know im being totally silly and shouldnt bother me but funny it is niggling away at me here...It doesnt really bother my DH and he is right as he says the name is for Life not to worry bout the initial announcement.....! Am thinking we should do a revised names search now....! OOoops i am being silly silly mamatobe today..sorry gals
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I had a girls name picked out for this little bean. It's a name I had never heard before but I got it from a book. Was really excited about having such a great name. Then last month I met up with some old school friends, and one of them has a DD the same age as my DD and she has my unusual-never-before-heard name! It's a gorgeous name and I said to her that it was the one I had chosen for the next one. It turns out she read the same book as me 15yrs ago and the name stuck in her head. It does take the shine off the name as such, I feel now I'd be using her name, which is completely and utterly stupid. I've still got the name on our list, but I've also taken a 2nd one that again I've never heard before but you can be sure someone somewhere is using it. It's daft some of the stuff that goes through your head about names.
marriedLife Posts: 1881
Rocket Queen would love an usual name for a girl have been trying to hard to think of one but can't come up with any
Babymama12 Posts: 267
We got an email from a friend of ours last night who is also pregnant and she told us that she had a name in mind for a girl and it is one of our two chosen names! She is not in my circle of friends though so I am not going to rule this name out. Is it just me or are names hard to think of? All the good ones are taken!
Nemo79 Posts: 932
I always wanted to call my daughter Katie but never told anyone (apart from DH and Mam) It was a nick name my dad has for my mam. My best friend had a baby girl three weeks ago and called her daughter Katie. I am gutted. Every girls name that I look at, I have no interest! My friend asked me if I had any names and I said No! To be honest, if the person you are talking about is not in your circle of friends and you are dead set with the name, I wouldnt change it.
mrsbrowneyedgirl28 Posts: 820
Ah poor you Nemo. We have our heart set on 2 names and a few of our friends are having babies before us. I'll bawl if anyone picks our name. I know it's not ours but you know what I mean!
Nemo79 Posts: 932
Thanks MrsBrowneyedgirl. I am sure I will come up with another name or maybe I am having a boy!!
Marvin Mole Posts: 1076
Ah I can totally understand your disappointment but if it wasn't in the same group of friends I would still use it. We have always had a boys name and I don't know anyone called it .. so hopefully no one will use it between now and august. I have no close friends who are due before me.
eviebelle Posts: 66
Rocket Queen Ive pmd u!
rosiemama Posts: 3363
before i had DS we had picked a name for him and one of DHs friends had twins about 4 months before DS was born and called one of them the name we had picked. i was devestated and picked another name for DS. i don't regret it for a second as i love DS's name now, but we haven't seen the friend or heard much about their baby all year to be honest so if we have a boy next time i will definitely be calling him by our original name. if they aren't that close friends i would say go for it. like, the amount of daniel's i have heard of being born recently and i haven't gone "oh, she knows her and they both called their lo daniel, i wonder did she copy them". i dont think people think like that really.