does the bride pay for the bridesmaid shoes?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nearlythere Posts: 14
can anyone tell me what the etiquette is for buying shoes and jewellery etc for the bridesmaids? i know years ago that the bride paid for everything but i was told that nowadays the bride just pays for the dress and the bridesmaids can buy their own shoes etc? thanks for any advice here...
007 Posts: 1462
not sure, but i think it depends on the situation, i will be buying their shoes and dresses and paying for hair and makeup.. after that they are on their own.... (well maybe tan too, if i have any money left!!!) hth :D
ChloeOct06 Posts: 1466
Wee Pea Posts: 168
I bought my bridesmaids shoes, although they were a lucky find in New Look...total bargin but perfect match. If you are getting them a wee gift for their help in being your bridesmaids maybe that could be their jewelry for the day.
charli Posts: 5994
i was planning to get their shoes, pay for hair and make-up and get the jeweller as a gift. then again, my 2 are my two sisters who are two students!!!
GBride Posts: 173
As far as I know it's like this: You pay for dress, shoes, hair & make up. Little pressie of jewellery (silver bracelet or necklace - doesn't have to cost the earth, give it to them that morning and they can wear it then) is common. Extras are nails & fake tan - if you have requested your bm's to have these then you should pay for them. BUT if you haven't requested them to have them done and have no preference and it's the bm's own wish to have something done, then she should pay for her own.
charli Posts: 5994
[quote:3e501ezw]Extras are nails & fake tan - if you have requested your bm's to have these then you should pay for them. BUT if you haven't requested them to have them done and have no preference and it's the bm's own wish to have something done, then she should pay for her own.[/quote:3e501ezw] well said!! yes, if you want them to have something, you pay, if not it's up to them if they want to go all out with tan and nails and eyelashes and the rest!
blushing b2b Posts: 288
I am paying for shoes (if we find any!!), hair and make up. i will give them a gift of jewelery on the day
smurf Posts: 755
we bought the bm's sandals, getting jewellery as their present....not paying for hair/make up.
aoife1 Posts: 333
well personally I think it's enough to pay for their dress,hair and makeup. I'll be going halves on their shoes, which I think is fair enough.