Elective section at Rotunda (public)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kaifer Posts: 236
Hi, I got my date today for my section :o)ll This will be the first elective section and the first child to be born in Ireland for me so I'm full of questions! Would love it if anyone could share their experiences (good and bad) so that I can feel more prepared. So, my (probably really stupid!) questions are... Do I need a separate labour bag or can I just bring my normal hospital bag with everything in it for my stay? How many beds are there in a public ward. I've heard up to 14 beds :eek Is this true and if so, how do you manage to get any rest?? How long can I expect to stay in on an elective? It's planned for a Friday, is it realistic to get out on the following Monday? I know the staff are crazy busy but if I'm bed bound after the section, will there be help available to change/lift the baby? Are Grobags allowed for the baby or do I bring in my own blankets/sheets? Thanks :thnk
beaker Posts: 379
Not sure about number of beds on ward as I was semi private and there were 5 beds then I'd bring just the labour bag with me and leave the other in the car for your partner/husband to get later when you're up on the ward. You'll be in post surgery recovery for an hour or two I think. Space is limited on the wards for storage of stuff. I had help the next morning getting out of bed onto a chair and a physiotherapist came a few days later. I found I couldn't move out of the chair without help the first morning so if you've somebody with you to lift the baby out of the cot it's a great help. I wasn't very vocal about asking for help so don't be afraid to ask. If they can they will. Best of luck :lvs
Forgot to say I was in for five days post op and get somebody to buy you prune juice as you'll need it. The meds and surgery have a slowdown effect on your digestive system.
kaifer Posts: 236
Thanks Beaker :thnk I'm sure it will all be grand. I know that there is no point worrying about it now, I think it's just the fact that everything is so different to what I've experienced before and I'm one of the those people (ie control freak!) that likes to know what to expect.
You'll be fine kaifer, I prefer to know myself what's ahead of me so I can prepare. They encourage you to be up and mobilising within day or two. It helps with recovery, but don't expect too much from yourself either and don't be emptying the dishwasher or Hoover for a couple of week afterwards. Take all the help you can get. :lvs