Estimation of weight of baby

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

carlie Posts: 100
Hi, I was in the hospital last week and i heard a few women say that they were told at 30 odd weeks they were told their baby was a certain weight. Do they have to do a scan to be able to estimate weight or is there another way?. also at what stage do they start telling you what weight they think the baby is? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Carlie
Mrs J Posts: 387
Think the only way they can really guess the weight (it is a guesstimate) is with a scan. The first estimate I got was when I was scanned at 28 weeks. At that point i was told baby was nearly 3 pounds. Went for another scan at 35 weeks and was told baby was between 5 and 6 pounds though doc said he usually over-estimates (think he saw my look of horror when I heard 6lbs and I had another 5 weeks to go. In the end DD was born at just over 39 weeks and she weighed 6lb15.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I forgot to ask last week at the scan :o( as I want to know...but maybe its far too early now??thought they could tell by now...
Ferdi Posts: 704
Hi Ladies, they measure the length of the thigh bone and the circumfrence (sp?) of the head during the scan and estimate the weight from that.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
[quote="Ferdi":buyg0tcy]Hi Ladies, they measure the length of the thigh bone and the circumfrence (sp?) of the head during the scan and estimate the weight from that.[/quote:buyg0tcy] Ah sugar...thats what was done last week but she didnt say :o( and its not on the piece of paper either :o(
shocked22 Posts: 511
I'm not sure how they do it but it's not always very accurate. A friend of mine was told that her baby would be around 8 and a half pounds. He was born this morning weighing 10lb 10 oz!!! They were a bit out!!!!!!!!
sunflowers26/09/07 Posts: 512
I had a growth scan the DAY BEFORE I was induced, I was told that DD was 8lbs 14ozs she was born 7lbs 12ozs, take the weight with a pinch of salt.
chilledout Posts: 834
Scans are pretty useless at estimating weight. I had a scan the day before DS was born and was told he was about 9 pounds. He was born the next day weighing 11 pounds! My GP had said the baby would be over 10 pounds and he just felt my bump with his hands.
oldwolnewman Posts: 58
I was scanned twenty minutes before been induced........ was told 9lbs 8oz........ all along I was told I was having a "big" baby. he was a dot.........6lbs 8oz!
Mrs Maternal Posts: 268
I went for my latest appointment at hospital last week so was 28w4days and doc scanned me quickly and did a few measurements and said baby is about 3lb!! I thought this is a little bigger than what most books say and wonder how much bigger it will be at full term - I think i would prefer not to know if it was going to be 9lb + baby - I would then be fearing labour even more....IYKWIM. In last 10 weeks what can you expect baby to put on in weight?