Formula dilemma please help

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsM2009 Posts: 254
My baby is one week old today. They started him on Aptamil in the hospital but he was feeding constantly the first night they suggested to move him to cow and gate. He was getting on brilliantly on the ready made and feeding every 3.5 to 4 hours. Yesterday I started to introduce the cow and gate formula. I gave him his 12, 4 and 8pm bottles as formula. Last night he seemed to be in awful pain across his tummy and wouldn't settle lying down. He also hadn't passed a dirty nappy from 12pm yesterday to 4am which is unlike him, he usually has one every feed. He also was only taking an oz every hour or so. He eventually settled this morning around 7 when I him an oz of ready made Aptamil. So my dilemma is should I persist with cow and gate, give him ready made and eventually move to formula or should I move back to Aptimel. Just to note he was almost 9lbs when he was born. He is my first baby and all my friends are breastfeeding so I have no one to ask! Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
I would stick to the formula bottles he's taking best. The reason the babies like the readymade stuff is because its slightly sweeter. Aptimal is meant to be most like breast milk and not as thick as other formulas. Has he gone for a poo yet today? Make sure he's winded properly, sometimes when they are taking more they need a few burps, think of it as if you're eating your christmas dinner for breakfast, dinner and tea.... you'd have alot of wind!! If he doesn't poo today, try massaging his tummy in a clockwise direction, not soft tickles but with some firmness. Also you can move his legs as if riding a bike, that'll help him too. We are always here for support & help so don't ever feel like you've no one to talk to xox Congratulations on your new arrival :stork:
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
The pre-made formula is not any sweeter than the powder. There is exactly the same ingredients, in the same quantity in both. IMO- the ready made is a bit easier because you don't have to shake it as vigorously as the powder so there is less air bubbles in it. It's likely that the pain is wind. If he was ok on the cow and gate I'd leave him on it but try to let the bottle settle a bit before feeding it to him. Now I'm only going off my two boys here- they never have as much wind or spit up as much after the pre-made stuff. What bottles are you using?
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
ReginaFalange I was told both by MW in the hospital and my health nurse that not to keep them on the readymade milk for long periods as they are sweeter and won't want the powdered stuff then? It amazes me how people give different advice O:| I would agree with ReginaFalange that its best to let milk settle before feeding.
bababunting Posts: 141
[quote="babydust2012":2dgaeued]I would stick to the formula bottles he's taking best. The reason the babies like the readymade stuff is because its slightly sweeter. Aptimal is meant to be most like breast milk and not as thick as other formulas. Has he gone for a poo yet today? Make sure he's winded properly, sometimes when they are taking more they need a few burps, think of it as if you're eating your christmas dinner for breakfast, dinner and tea.... you'd have alot of wind!! If he doesn't poo today, try massaging his tummy in a clockwise direction, not soft tickles but with some firmness. Also you can move his legs as if riding a bike, that'll help him too. We are always here for support & help so don't ever feel like you've no one to talk to xox Congratulations on your new arrival :stork:[/quote:2dgaeued] Just to note and not an attack on you, but no formula is close or most like breast milk, that is a myth. Only other formula can be compared to each other. Im sorry to highlight it, I just hate to hear this phrase come out of people. Its a myth straight from the manufacturers. Sorry about your difficulty OP, I hope the issues resolves itself for you.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="babydust2012":2c318w3e]ReginaFalange I was told both by MW in the hospital and my health nurse that not to keep them on the readymade milk for long periods as they are sweeter and won't want the powdered stuff then? It amazes me how people give different advice[/quote:2c318w3e] I heard that too which is why I researched it as I didn't want to be giving my LO's a super sweet tooth. The only difference is the way that they are produced but the actual content of both is (has to be due to guidelines) the very same. I feed my DS a mixture of both and he doesn't seem to notice any difference.
MrsM2009 Posts: 254
Hi ladies, Thanks for the advice. I am using the tommee tippee bottles. I changed the teat from the slow teat to vari flow and he is getting on great with these. I had the bottles made in the fridge before giving them to him so they were well settled... I went bAck to the Aptamil ready Made today, I am going to gradually introduce the a Aptamil formula over the next few days. He had a poop at 4am, a tiny poop at 7am but nothing since. I will give him a massage after his bath this evening and see how it goes. There's such confliting things about formula it is really hard to know what's right. The phn is out tomorrow so I will talk to her and see what she says..