Gestational Diabetes - symptoms?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
I am due to go for testing in another two months for this, but at the moment I've noticed that I'm drinking lots of water during the day but I'm still thirsty. Today, I drank 3 pints of water in work, and still this evening I needed to drink another glass of juice followed shortly by another glass of water (about an hour ago) and now I'm thirsty again. Is this a symptom? Two of my siblings have diabetes, so I presume I am at a higher risk of developing gestational diabetes yes?
theoracle Posts: 7664
Yes, you would be considered at higher risk as there is diabetes in your family, and thirst also can be one of the symptoms. I was however in the same position as you (endless thirst + family history of diabetes) but actually did not develop GD, so I wouldn't be worrying about it untill you get back your test results! Also, you can get urine test sticks in pharmacy and can check for sugar in urine if you are excessively worried about it. :wv
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
Thanks hu101 ... I'd forgotten about those dip-sticks (even though I grew up peeing on them on a regular basis and getting murdered for it for wasting them by my mother! :-8 ) Might pop down to the chemists tomorrow and see can I get hold of a bottle of them. It's just I'll fill a pint of water in work, and I could gulp down three quarters of it before I even sit back down at my desk, and this has only developed in the past couple of weeks, so I'm wondering if it's something that I should be keeping an eye on. And I've gotten a lot hungrier in the last fortnight as well, but then again, that could just be a normal pg symptom as I had lost my appetite really up until now.
theoracle Posts: 7664
It is a good idea to keep an eye on these things, I hope all goes well for you.
babybliss Posts: 437
I still have the constant thirst and can easily go through at least 2 litres of water during the work hours. I had the GTT test done twice, as my brother has diabetes, but all my results have been normal. I guess thirst is one of the pregnancy symptoms as well :)