Getting freaked

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Ok for those of you who have had their first scans/visits what should I expect...will he do an internal and do I have to strip off :eek ??,I am starting to panick...please tell me step by step and dont hold back I want to be prepared
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Now Dolly calm down :hic Where are you going firstly? Secondly I think it's only very rarely they do a vaginal scan, it's always on the tummy. For me in the Rotunda, going public, I first registered, then went for the scan (it's great to see babs :lvs ) then a chat with the midwife, then bloods and finally a chat with the Dr.
Holles street...my friend said she used to get waxed before any of these appointments and I ws like :ooh should I be hairless....ooooh god
Mrs Lucy06 Posts: 929
Hey Dolly, Calm down wasnt sure what to expect either but on my first visit I was 14wks, saw the nurse first done my bloods, family history next of kin etc, then saw the doc for the scan only pulled my jeans down a bit & they put the jelly on my belly & saw babs!! Second scan 22wks, went in and they put the jelly on my belly & voila saw babs again, no taking of the clothes at all I was afraid what they might do but everything is fine!!! Good Luck, let us know how you get on!!! Lucy
Tigletts Posts: 2904
I don't know why !!! The only stripping you do is baring your tummy ! Honestly, unless they do things differently in Holles street but I doubt it. Were you told to drink lots of water beforehand?
Chicken Licken Posts: 873
Hi Dolly - think it depends who your consultant is. I went for my first appointment last Wednesday with Dr Boylan and he doesn't do a scan on the first visit unless you have had previous problems. I gave them a urine sample, got weighed, then had bloods and medical history taken and then went to see the doctor. He just had a quick chat with me on how I was feeling etc etc and then had a good hard feel of my tummy. Told me all was growing well and I was the picture of health. That was it but funny enough I felt great just after that little bit of reassurance. Good Luck with your visit - is it tomorrow?
Its Monday a few of us are the same day,christmasb where are you? No I wasnt told to drink plenty as the wagon who booked me in said that I might not be scanned,hope I am though
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Don't worry Dolly - I really don't think you will need to "drop the kaks" (as Flutterby would say :o0 ) at this stage! So far I have found doctors very reluctant to get to grips with the whole area! I was desperate for them to look at my pile as I was worried about it and they really didn't want to! I think they are just as embarrassed as we are and they won't do internal examinations until they have to much later on. Relax and look forward to it and please god they will do a scan...
Thanks girls what would I do without you :thnk
swissgirl Posts: 2301
Hi Dolly, Definitely at 12 weeks they will do a tummy scan. Ive had vaginal scans and they are not that bad, just in case you do get one or anyone else reading this thread is going to get one. The doctor that did mine is the same doctor that did my smear tests. Like my smear test I had to take off my jeans/knickers put on a smock and stick my legs on stirrups (not fun but same as a smear test). He has this tube on which he put a condom and then some sort of jelly and inserted it inside a little. Not as uncomfortable as the smear test, then on screen I saw the bean and forgot all about the tube/legs in stirrups/doctors/etc. and just hoped the bean was ok. There is no need to have a wax before unless you want one (same applies to the birth)! As I said, from your ticker I can see you are 12 weeks at that stage the scan is on your tummy anyways. good luck on monday sg