Menu

Girls....What is the deal with Feta cheese?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DublinGirl Posts: 1307
Are we allowed to eat it or not? I bought the Tesco Finest Greek feta cheese last night after months of longing for it. I had a little bit with my tea. When scouring the shelves though I was reading the backs of all the different brands to see if they were pasteurised or not and non of them said otherwise. O:| So i bought the Tesco's finest brand and it was gorgeous. I know the deal is - stay away from soft cheeses but some people argue that feta is ok!!!!!
swissgirl Posts: 2301
Its yummy thats the deal with feta. Check the packaging for pasteurized, if its pasteurized its ok (its not live and doesnt have a skin either). If the packaging doesnt say pasteurized then hunt down another brand. By law I believe it has to say its pasteurized if it is.
buzybumble Posts: 831
Id stay away from it for awhile as its a soft cheese with a high salt content.
DublinGirl Posts: 1307
O:| O:| O:| I love Feta Cheese. I would stay away from it but would really love to know DO we stay away from it because... or is it to stay away cause we're unsure. I did check a lot of the labels on different brands yesterday and i couldn't tell on one of them whether they were pateurized or not. O:| O:| O:|
dovedro Posts: 1295
I've eaten feta cheese plenty of times that I got in the supermarket and never checked if it was pasturised. I don't feel that eating feta is going to do any harm but each to their own If you are concerned it will say on the back of the packet so just do a quick check around when buying it next time :wv