Going private- will your consultant deliver baby?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
Just wondering what your consultants have said about delivery of your baby. My consultant generally delivers his babies one day during the week :eek and otherwise is called in if there's a problem. If no problem the midwife will deliver the baby. Consultant has offered me a date on his 'delivering' day shortly after my due date but this would involve being induced (i'd be 2/3 days overdue). I'm happy for midwife to deliver baby and call consultant if there's a problem. is this what happens other private patients. I'm in England so maybe it's different here?
jarashow Posts: 3083
Personally I wouldn't be happy being induced because it fits his work schedule, if you're body isn't ready for an induction (cervix softened etc) then you are at more of a risk of a section. I don't know what the deal is with mine, haven't asked him yet, although as far as I remember from my antenatal they are called in at the end or earlier if there is a problem.
workingmom Posts: 3429
Dunno about England, but if he is delivering all and sundry once a week, how will he have time to get around to everyone???? Here, the consultant is called to deliver the baby when you are private, if he is around, he attends, if not, he has another consultant who covers for him attend, but you should def have a consultant present at the delivery regardless. No way I'd be induced to suit him....
sunnyside Posts: 3164
maybe I took him up wrong. got a bit confused when he started talking about dates. I think maybe he meant if I go overdue that we should pick a date now just in case so that he can definitely be there. it's very confusing.
Moet for me Posts: 1841
I don't think that is usual here, my consultant called me in 10 days over for induction and even then he wasn't enthused about induction due to increased risk of section which I had. My sister's obs in the states made it clear to her both times that her due date was her due date and if she hadn't gone by then she'd be induced which she was both times but had a vaginal delivery. Different strokes personally I think it is wrong for an obs to have a delivery day but just my opinion.
Bridezilla07 Posts: 2237
Hi Sunnyside Personally, I would avoid being induced just because your consultant happens to be in that day! I know someone who's consultant said she'd induce her early as she was going on her holidays :ooh Fair enough if an induction is medically necessary but I will try to avoid it. I am attending a consultant privately for medical reasons but am quite happy to have a midwife deliver my baby. Best of luck to you Zilla07
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Well the way it works with my guy is that if you have the baby on a Mon - Fri during working hours, he'll deliver the baby. There are three private consultants at my hospital....If its outside these hours or at weekends you will get whatever consultant is covering.. it will be one of the three. Either way a consultant will attend my delivery. And I have a letter that has this all in writing aswell! Although midwives are just as good really so I wouldnt be induced just to get a consultant rather than a midwife.
whackywoman Posts: 1496
my consultant delivered my baby, I was induced but it was my choice as I could have said no but for medical reasons I said yes to it. I found after that he was going on holidays the day after I had my baby.
chicam Posts: 1169
Sunnyside I'm in England too & from what I've been told, if the consultant is on duty & you happen to be delivering then they will be there. However if it isn't their duty then you're likely to get a) another consultant or b) just midwives who will call the nearest consultant in the hospital if anything goes wrong. I'm semi-private and this is the case.