Good Idea/Bad Idea?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hulkess Posts: 61
Hello Everyone, I read this idea somewhere of having a guest bridal bouquet and I absolutely loved it. Basically, I was going to ask my closest female friends and relatives to each bring a flower to the wedding. Then my aunt (who isn't a florist but is very good with DIY stuff like this) was going to arrange them as best she could at the venue and boom - you have your bouquet! Our wedding is quite relaxed, we don't necessarily have a strict colour scheme and we're keeping it quite casual - no bridesmaids or groomsmen. We are also DIYing a lot of the decor in the hotel where the wedding is. Most of my family think the idea is terrible! They think it could end up looking disastrous and that it might look to some people like im being really cheap by asking them to bring a flower. I love the idea because I just love personal touches & it would give a lot of sentimental value to my flowers but if it looks like im being cheap I definitely don't want people to think that. I was just looking for some outsider opinions??? :wv
Munstermolly Posts: 100
I think its a wonderful idea , something completely different and unique , I've never heard of it done before but really think its fantastic , i don't think its cheap at all . As your not having a theme / colour scheme its not going to cause any complications in that sense . Go for it . You could ask each guest to try a little tag on the flower with their name and maybe a short simple message or even just one word eg love ., hope , happiness etc . I'm not sure if that might work if your going to tie up your flowers but something to think about . Best of luck .
allsún Posts: 253
I think its a lovely idea, also love the idea of a little message, then guests would know why you had such a awray of flowers too, and the idea behind it.
allsún Posts: 253
I think its a lovely idea, also love the idea of a little message, then guests would know why you had such a awray of flowers too, and the idea behind it.
tásceitimíníorm Posts: 76
I really like the idea of it but can imagine a few issues... Guests trying to keep flowers from drooping on the journey. Getting a flower that has blossomed rather than closed the way they often come. Most of your guests are going to have to buy a bunch of flowers? All the guests will have to be there minimum a half hour before the ceremony so that your aunt can make the bouquet. One other thing, myself and my sister made her bouquets for her wedding and the stems of the particular flowers weren't very strong so we had to wire the flowers... maybe just bare this in mind, as this would take quite some time And like you said it could end up a bit of a mismatch. That said, it's a really unique ide and could end up fab, and I really don't think it seems like you're being cheap at all!
hulkess Posts: 61
Thanks for all the tips ladies! I think im going to go for it. 6 months ago I had this totally alternative wedding planned in my head and as time goes on it becomes more traditional, I definitely want to keep a few different ideas in there! The wiring of the flowers is a good point though, I will definitely have to have a think about that, would never have thought of it myself!x
Munstermolly Posts: 100
Hulkess delighted your going ahead with it . If i had known or heard about this its definatly something i would have done .. Regarding the wire perhaps pick up some flowers in aldi or lidli and practise with those . Best of luck .
leahlovegood Posts: 28
Could you try and keep it meaningful with a bit of structure? Maybe have a few flowers bought yourself and then just getting bms sisters moms and aunts to give one. Could it maybe be done at the start of your ceremony? Just before you walk down the aisle? I've seen people put bouquets together in 20-30 seconds as long as there is a sheers and a bin close by... Nice idea but you'll have to think about it and delegate somebody to keep it in order or it could turn into a headache??? Beautiful communal touch though. Like brooch bouquets! But the real deal :thnk
MrsSparkle2B Posts: 1689
I think it's a lovely idea but the only thing that would concern me is the time. Once you aren't waiting til 5 minutes before the ceremony to get it all together it should be fine, but you need the flowers for the photos beforehand etc so organise someone to really be in charge of the collecting etc or it could go astray time wise. But I love the idea of it.
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
The control freak in me is having palpitations at the thought of doing this! While it's a nice thought & personal touch I would not like the uncertainty and issues raised above by the other posters. Plus I am not so sure that it would mean a whole lot to anyone apart from the bride? Maybe that's just my thought on it. I am a planner, not someone who wings it!