Menu

green bf poo with mucous... lovely title for a post

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Beaubelle Posts: 741
Hi ladies, Just wondering if any of you have had experience with this. My ds usually does typical mustardy bf stools, but today for the first time, he did one that had a greenish tinge to it, and passed a good bit of runny mucous after it. (I hope you all have strong stomachs!!! :hic ) I read that this can be due to a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, or due to food intolerance due to my eating dairy foods, but just wondering about it. He is otherwise full of the joys, smiling away and being his typical self. Anyway, is this a problem I should be worried about? I will obviously go to GP if it persists, but I'm hoping it's a one off!
Baby Babs Posts: 2596
Don't worry about it. Green poo is also the colour it gets if is staying longer in the bowel, so my MW/PHN said. My LO had it for a couple of weeks and it went away. I was up all night worrying about and did my best to empty my breast. I think as long as you give her a good feed on one boob, offering the second and starting with that boob on the next feed, it will all balance out. I've another friend who didn't worry about it all. She reckon her DD never got it because she switched very soon but her DD is thriving and has been feeding exclusively BF. But now I'm thinking about mucus bit. I think I only ever saw a little. Hmm, let's see what others say.
Thanks babybabs, As for the mucous, I think it could have looked like more than it would have done on a nappy, because I actually caught him in the act of passing it! Your theory on the green poo could well be it, because DS's bowel motions have become less frequent now.. Sometimes he will go a day or two without anything, and then there's a massive explosive one. I'll see what happens over the next few days, and hopefully things will normalise. Interested to hear what others think!
red_rubies Posts: 2424
I would also have attributed it to a fore/hindmilk imbalance but I never actually experienced it. I think though it's usually green & frothy (how lovely!! :o0 ) Found this article: http://www.babycenter.com.au/baby/breas ... eenstools/ :wv ETA: My DS went or days without doing a poo & they were never green.
lollyfp Posts: 2441
hi - my ds has had this recently and i was told not to worry by the PHN and VHI nurseline as ds is otherwise happy and well. the funny thing is that i'd never even seen him do a green poo until i started making sure i had him feed fully on both sides (due to a potential overactive letdown) so the typical explanation of him not getting enough hindmilk seems unlikely. also when he spits up it's thick and creamy so sure he's getting it. his poos were frothy too but i could only tell that as he pooed during a change and it bubbled/frothed out, Lol!! :o0 also apparently mucous could indicate a virus or just be some mucous from a cold if they have one at the time (ds did at the time). anyway i would not worry as all the medical professionals told me not to as long as ds was not vomiting and unwell otherwise - good luck!! :wv
neeov Posts: 4256
A tummy bug can cause green poo so if its just a once off you can put it down to that Oversupply/ forceful let down / foremilk issues can cause it too, but thats would persist. I used to get it after growth spurts. It can also be a sign of allergy to foreign protiens in your milk, but this si the least likely cause. Wait and see.
Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
the colour can vary. If there is mucus....foul smelling or any blood this is usually allergy. This is what my son had. Started with mucus as this is a sign of the bowl being irritated....the irritation can be caused by allergy or bug
Just updating.... We are back to normal poos again today....Hopefully it was a one off! Thanks for all the replies ladies :thnk