Hair Loss after birth

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

groovee Posts: 529
Hi girls, I'll probably post in mums and kids too about this. I know this sounds very shallow but I am so worried about the hair loss after giving birth. How bad is it really? I have had very bad phases of hair loss in the past. It always grew back but my hair is awfully fine and thin anyway that I cant really afford to lose it! Right now at nearly 6 months preggers it's thickened and nothing falls out these days so I presume it's going to hit with a vengeance once the baby comes. I am terrified. how bad is it going to be? and for how long? Is these anything i can start taking now to help? Sorry I sound so shallow. I should be worrying about other things I know .. and i am... am a right bloody worrier these days.
lolabelle Posts: 3311
What happens after the birth is that all that extra growth falls out and your hair returns to the exact same pre-pregnancy state. Mine practically happened in a couple of days and I was getting big chunks falling out in the shower. Scared the daylights out of me and DH was on bald spot check! :o0 TBH I don't think it was that excessive that my hair was thinner than before the pregnancy. In fact I think the pregnancy really improved my hair even after the initial loss. I can't remember how long after the birth it happened it was sooooooo long ago :o0 :o0 :o0 . Don't worry too much about it or anything, you will be so wrapped up in the new baby that you won't give a hoot!! :wv
mammymcphee Posts: 4477
heya :wv after i had babs, chunks of my hair fell out, at 8months down the line, i still have terrible amounts that fall out. I went to the chemist and the guy gave me perfectil(i think) ive noticed that the side of my hairline is very fine and almost have a little bald patch there, but can cover it with the rest of my hair, im hoping the tablets will do the trick... Like you lolabelle, ive DH on baldpatch watch, but he ensures me that im fine. i even had my hairdresser check when i was last in with him :-8 Im sure ull be fine, and ur not being shallow. u just want to be a yummymummy :o0 :o0 :o0