Horrible feeling/burning in back of throat

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babe06 Posts: 898
Hi Girls Hopeing you can help me with this as I'm not sure what it is. Every evening from about 4 or 5 on I get this horrible feeling in the back of my throat - its like a lumb there thats burning. It also feels like food is repeating itself and burping is then painful and just horrible. I dond't have heartburn though which is why I'm confussed and couldn't find any refrence to it in any of my books last night. Anyone else ever get this? Its really horrible - nearly worse than the sickness (sometime it does make me feel sick) so ofcourse that has now eased considerably but this has set in! Drinking tea now burns my throat too.
ros Posts: 749
Hi Babe, Well it does sound a little like heartburn. I had it with so many foods.... you will have to try and eliminate foods that don't agree with you and it should get a little easier. Also try Rennie which is safe to take during pregnancy. Hope this helps a bit.
babe06 Posts: 898
Thanks for that. Rennie does help but doesn't get rid of it and it's not brought on by foods as I always get it no matter if I've eatedn or not - actually eating is the only thing thats helps ease the pain. I do think it is linked to heartburn but I don't have nay other pain. Maybe this is just the beginning of it
MrsNoc05 Posts: 1823
Babe its a combination of heartburn and also where babs is lying at this stage in your pregnancy too that is giving your stomach very little room to fit your dinner etc in and its kind of like a reflux thing, rennie I find is fine for a mild bit of heartburn but you need to try gaviscon if the rennie isnt working for you. HTH MrsNoc - I got this from babycenter for you too Most likely. Many women experience heartburn for the first time during pregnancy — and though it's common and generally harmless, it can be quite uncomfortable. Heartburn (also called acid indigestion or acid reflux) is a burning sensation that often extends from the bottom of the breastbone to the lower throat. It's caused by some of the hormonal and physical changes in your body. During pregnancy, the placenta produces the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the smooth muscles of the uterus. This hormone also relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach, allowing gastric acids to seep back up, which causes that unpleasant burning sensation. Progesterone also slows down the wavelike contractions of your esophagus and intestines, making digestion sluggish. Later in pregnancy, your growing baby crowds your abdominal cavity, pushing the stomach acids back up into the esophagus. Many women start experiencing heartburn and other gastrointestinal discomforts in the second half of pregnancy. Unfortunately, it usually comes and goes until your baby is born.
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Could be indigestion. I get this now and again. Heatburn I thought is normally felt in the chest.
Gerbera Posts: 539
I got this alot on my last pregnancy and had to endure months of people saying "oh that's a sign that baby has loads of hair!!". Anyway, what helped me was peppermint. I'd use the flavoured Rennie also but if yould even drink little sips of peppermint (I got a bottle of it from our local pub as I couldn't get it in any shop!) and I sipped that, it worked a treat!
elmar06 Posts: 201
During my last pregnancy the consultant said not to take Rennie, to stick to Gaviscon as this is the only safe thing to take while pregnant for heartburn....HTH
Gerbera Posts: 539
Just goes to show how even the consultants can't agree on anything these days. I asked mine before I took it as I wouldn't even take a paracetemol while I was pg, and she said that the Rennie Rapeze were perfectly safe to take while pg. My friend was practically drinking Gaviscon when she had it but to no avail.....everyone's different I suppose!
MrsHawaii05 Posts: 488
stay away form orange juiice and acisy stuff...milk got rid of mine as did choclate milk shakes...its horrible, i have it this time too but not as bad as on ds...he had a huge mop of black hair when born too :stork:
twinssep Posts: 1242
hi mrs peppermint water is good not very nice but good also gaviscon hope this helps and thanks for ur advice earlier ur poor mam but it all worked out :o)ll